Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:01 am
D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill not getting it done on the mound
But for D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill, it was especially ugly.
Cahill entered the month 3-5 with 2.88 ERA and had pitched in 29 consecutive outings without giving up more than four runs.
That streak quickly came to an end when he surrendered five runs in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals June 3, but things would only get worse.
For the month, Cahill went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He gave up five or more runs on four separate occasions -- including a season-high eight June 8 against the San Francisco Giants -- left a start early due to injury and finished with a no-decision during his one positive start (10 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings of work) of the month on June 14 against the San Diego Padres.
"I don't know what to say," Cahill said after Sunday's game, in which he up six runs to the Atlanta Braves in 4 2/3 innings. "It's embarrassing. We're a team that's in first place, and I want to do my part to contribute. It's just not working out."
Cahill, who is second in the National League with 10 losses, has not won since May 17 and when he's started in 2013 the D-backs are 6-11.
Before June 2013, the 25-year-old had also never lost more than four games in a given month.
"I know he's frustrated, I know he's trying," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He's not throwing the ball real well with the stuff that he has, but as I stated earlier that's all part of it. It's disappointing. But we have to go pick ourselves up and beat the Mets."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.