Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 7:01 am
D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill not getting it done on the mound
But for D-backs right-hander Trevor Cahill, it was especially ugly.
Cahill entered the month 3-5 with 2.88 ERA and had pitched in 29 consecutive outings without giving up more than four runs.
That streak quickly came to an end when he surrendered five runs in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals June 3, but things would only get worse.
For the month, Cahill went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He gave up five or more runs on four separate occasions -- including a season-high eight June 8 against the San Francisco Giants -- left a start early due to injury and finished with a no-decision during his one positive start (10 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings of work) of the month on June 14 against the San Diego Padres.
"I don't know what to say," Cahill said after Sunday's game, in which he up six runs to the Atlanta Braves in 4 2/3 innings. "It's embarrassing. We're a team that's in first place, and I want to do my part to contribute. It's just not working out."
Cahill, who is second in the National League with 10 losses, has not won since May 17 and when he's started in 2013 the D-backs are 6-11.
Before June 2013, the 25-year-old had also never lost more than four games in a given month.
"I know he's frustrated, I know he's trying," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He's not throwing the ball real well with the stuff that he has, but as I stated earlier that's all part of it. It's disappointing. But we have to go pick ourselves up and beat the Mets."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.