Updated Jun 29, 2013 - 6:47 am
D-backs' franchise-record shutout streak comes to an end
It was unique, in that for the first time in 79 games, the D-backs were held off the scoreboard -- the longest streak in franchise history to begin a year.
Before Friday night's streak-busting loss, the D-backs were the lone MLB team not to be blanked this season. In fact, every other club has been shut out at least three times in 2013.
When asked if it was meaningful that the D-backs were the last team to be shut out, manager Kirk Gibson was rather blunt.
"Not really," Gibson said. "It's characteristic of the way we play, but beyond that we lost tonight, whether we need zero runs or four. It didn't work."
It might not have worked Friday night against Julio Teheran (six scoreless innings of work) and the Braves at Turner Field, but the D-backs found a way for the better part of the first half of 2013 to keep the streak alive.
Arizona has scored exactly one run in 13 games this season and 10 different times needed runs in the eighth or ninth inning to avoid being shut out.
"It's going to happen, it's baseball," said Gibson of the streak finally ending. "It's not odd at all [we weren't able to chip away]. It's probably odder we've scored in all of these games."
Before Friday night's 3-0 loss, the D-backs hadn't been blanked since September 26, 2012 against the San Francisco Giants.
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.