Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 11:01 pm
Report: Diamondbacks interested in Gallardo, Samardzija
However, while fellow NL West rivals appear to be interested in Miami Marlins righty Ricky Nolasco, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal says the guys Arizona is interested in are Milwaukee's Yovani Gallardo and Chicago's Jeff Samardzija.
Gallardo, Rosenthal notes, is available, but he says acquiring Samardzija would require an "overwhelming" package.
The Diamondbacks entered Thursday ranked 11th in the NL with a 4.17 rotation ERA. Their best pitcher, left-hander Patrick Corbin, is in his first full season. The addition of a top-of-the-rotation starter would significantly enhance the team's chances in the hotly contested NL West.
The D-Backs, though, aren't prepared to move on any pitcher just yet.
Gallardo, 27, is currently sporting a 4.20 ERA to go along with a 6-7 record, but has for a while been one of the National League's better hurlers.
Samardzija, on the other hand, is carrying a 3.39 ERA with his 5-7 record. The 28-year-old has struck out 115 batters in 106.1 innings, and appears to be emerging as a force on the mound.
Of course, the Diamondbacks are not the only team that would like to acquire Samardzija. At this point, the price for the pitcher almost certainly would be prohibitive, and teams know it. The Cubs, according to one source, have not even received any "hits" on Samardzija.
The Diamondbacks, though, are deep enough in prospects — pitchers, outfielders, left-side infielders — to pull off a blockbuster for a top-of-the-rotation starter.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.