Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 11:01 pm
Report: Diamondbacks interested in Gallardo, Samardzija
However, while fellow NL West rivals appear to be interested in Miami Marlins righty Ricky Nolasco, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal says the guys Arizona is interested in are Milwaukee's Yovani Gallardo and Chicago's Jeff Samardzija.
Gallardo, Rosenthal notes, is available, but he says acquiring Samardzija would require an "overwhelming" package.
The Diamondbacks entered Thursday ranked 11th in the NL with a 4.17 rotation ERA. Their best pitcher, left-hander Patrick Corbin, is in his first full season. The addition of a top-of-the-rotation starter would significantly enhance the team's chances in the hotly contested NL West.
The D-Backs, though, aren't prepared to move on any pitcher just yet.
Gallardo, 27, is currently sporting a 4.20 ERA to go along with a 6-7 record, but has for a while been one of the National League's better hurlers.
Samardzija, on the other hand, is carrying a 3.39 ERA with his 5-7 record. The 28-year-old has struck out 115 batters in 106.1 innings, and appears to be emerging as a force on the mound.
Of course, the Diamondbacks are not the only team that would like to acquire Samardzija. At this point, the price for the pitcher almost certainly would be prohibitive, and teams know it. The Cubs, according to one source, have not even received any "hits" on Samardzija.
The Diamondbacks, though, are deep enough in prospects — pitchers, outfielders, left-side infielders — to pull off a blockbuster for a top-of-the-rotation starter.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.