Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 11:01 pm
Report: Diamondbacks interested in Gallardo, Samardzija
However, while fellow NL West rivals appear to be interested in Miami Marlins righty Ricky Nolasco, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal says the guys Arizona is interested in are Milwaukee's Yovani Gallardo and Chicago's Jeff Samardzija.
Gallardo, Rosenthal notes, is available, but he says acquiring Samardzija would require an "overwhelming" package.
The Diamondbacks entered Thursday ranked 11th in the NL with a 4.17 rotation ERA. Their best pitcher, left-hander Patrick Corbin, is in his first full season. The addition of a top-of-the-rotation starter would significantly enhance the team's chances in the hotly contested NL West.
The D-Backs, though, aren't prepared to move on any pitcher just yet.
Gallardo, 27, is currently sporting a 4.20 ERA to go along with a 6-7 record, but has for a while been one of the National League's better hurlers.
Samardzija, on the other hand, is carrying a 3.39 ERA with his 5-7 record. The 28-year-old has struck out 115 batters in 106.1 innings, and appears to be emerging as a force on the mound.
Of course, the Diamondbacks are not the only team that would like to acquire Samardzija. At this point, the price for the pitcher almost certainly would be prohibitive, and teams know it. The Cubs, according to one source, have not even received any "hits" on Samardzija.
The Diamondbacks, though, are deep enough in prospects — pitchers, outfielders, left-side infielders — to pull off a blockbuster for a top-of-the-rotation starter.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.