Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 11:01 pm
Report: Diamondbacks interested in Gallardo, Samardzija
However, while fellow NL West rivals appear to be interested in Miami Marlins righty Ricky Nolasco, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal says the guys Arizona is interested in are Milwaukee's Yovani Gallardo and Chicago's Jeff Samardzija.
Gallardo, Rosenthal notes, is available, but he says acquiring Samardzija would require an "overwhelming" package.
The Diamondbacks entered Thursday ranked 11th in the NL with a 4.17 rotation ERA. Their best pitcher, left-hander Patrick Corbin, is in his first full season. The addition of a top-of-the-rotation starter would significantly enhance the team's chances in the hotly contested NL West.
The D-Backs, though, aren't prepared to move on any pitcher just yet.
Gallardo, 27, is currently sporting a 4.20 ERA to go along with a 6-7 record, but has for a while been one of the National League's better hurlers.
Samardzija, on the other hand, is carrying a 3.39 ERA with his 5-7 record. The 28-year-old has struck out 115 batters in 106.1 innings, and appears to be emerging as a force on the mound.
Of course, the Diamondbacks are not the only team that would like to acquire Samardzija. At this point, the price for the pitcher almost certainly would be prohibitive, and teams know it. The Cubs, according to one source, have not even received any "hits" on Samardzija.
The Diamondbacks, though, are deep enough in prospects — pitchers, outfielders, left-side infielders — to pull off a blockbuster for a top-of-the-rotation starter.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.