Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 6:25 pm
Grit Index: Gregorius' RBI bunt single snaps D-backs' three-game skid
Every now and then what is predicted to be an exciting pitching matchup lives up to its billing, and such was the case as the Arizona Diamondbacks battled the Washington Nationals in the series finale Thursday in Washington D.C.
Patrick Corbin (seven innings, five hits, two earned runs allowed) vs. Stephen Strasburg (seven innings, six hits, two earned runs allowed) pitted two of the National League's best young pitchers against each other, and the two posted very similar lines on the way to no decisions.
Of course, their individual battle was the second-most important story of the day, as Didi Gregorius' RBI bunt single in the 11th inning helped the D-backs snap a three-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over the Nationals.
While Corbin twirled his third consecutive quality start, the D-backs bullpen was also fantastic Thursday. Josh Collmenter moved to 4-0 on the season and notched his third extra-inning win of 2013.
Heath Bell recorded his 14th save of the season and ended a five-game streak of allowing at least one home run.
Despite another strong performance, Corbin was denied a chance to win his 10th game of the season. D-backs starters have now gone 19-straight games without a victory.
Corbin's bid for win No. 10 was largely thwarted by the offense's inability to capitalize on scoring chances in the ninth and tenth innings. Arizona was 1-of-9 Thursday with runners in scoring in position.
• Paul Goldschmidt stole his team-leading seventh stolen base in the fourth inning.
• With Thursday's win, the D-backs moved to 9-2 in extra-inning games in 2013.
• Aaron Hill's sixth inning, game-tying home run was his third of the year and first since coming off the disabled list on Monday.
The D-backs continue their 10-game road trip Friday in Atlanta against the Braves. Right-hander Randall Delgado (0-1, 4.50 ERA) will start for Arizona against his former team. Atlanta will counter with Julio Teheran (5-4, 3.32 ERA). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 at 4:30 p.m.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.