Updated Jun 27, 2013 - 6:25 pm
Grit Index: Gregorius' RBI bunt single snaps D-backs' three-game skid
Every now and then what is predicted to be an exciting pitching matchup lives up to its billing, and such was the case as the Arizona Diamondbacks battled the Washington Nationals in the series finale Thursday in Washington D.C.
Patrick Corbin (seven innings, five hits, two earned runs allowed) vs. Stephen Strasburg (seven innings, six hits, two earned runs allowed) pitted two of the National League's best young pitchers against each other, and the two posted very similar lines on the way to no decisions.
Of course, their individual battle was the second-most important story of the day, as Didi Gregorius' RBI bunt single in the 11th inning helped the D-backs snap a three-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over the Nationals.
While Corbin twirled his third consecutive quality start, the D-backs bullpen was also fantastic Thursday. Josh Collmenter moved to 4-0 on the season and notched his third extra-inning win of 2013.
Heath Bell recorded his 14th save of the season and ended a five-game streak of allowing at least one home run.
Despite another strong performance, Corbin was denied a chance to win his 10th game of the season. D-backs starters have now gone 19-straight games without a victory.
Corbin's bid for win No. 10 was largely thwarted by the offense's inability to capitalize on scoring chances in the ninth and tenth innings. Arizona was 1-of-9 Thursday with runners in scoring in position.
• Paul Goldschmidt stole his team-leading seventh stolen base in the fourth inning.
• With Thursday's win, the D-backs moved to 9-2 in extra-inning games in 2013.
• Aaron Hill's sixth inning, game-tying home run was his third of the year and first since coming off the disabled list on Monday.
The D-backs continue their 10-game road trip Friday in Atlanta against the Braves. Right-hander Randall Delgado (0-1, 4.50 ERA) will start for Arizona against his former team. Atlanta will counter with Julio Teheran (5-4, 3.32 ERA). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 at 4:30 p.m.
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.