Grit Index: D-backs lose second straight to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their second straight game to the Nationals in Washington on Wednesday.
The D-backs have now dropped three straight, and are winless during the first two games of their 10-game road swing.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt recorded his NL-leading 67th RBI on a double in the first inning. Martin Prado also added a RBI single, accounting for the only runs of the game for Arizona.
The D-backs hitters didn't have an answer for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, who after giving up two runs in the first inning, was dominant.
Zimmermann (11-3) notched his NL-leading 11th win of the season after blanking Arizona over his final six innings of work. He gave up just three hits total and retired the last 10 D-backs he faced.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (4-7) suffered his seventh loss of the season, and hasn't picked up a win since June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Miley surrendered three runs, two earned, in seven innings for Arizona.
• The D-backs saw their record in one-run games drop to 17-11 with the loss.
• Zimmermann has now won 13 consecutive home decisions this season for the Nationals, tying the longest in club history.
The D-backs and Nationals will play the finale of their three-game set on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (9-0) will try once again for his 10th win of the season for Arizona. He will be opposed by Washington ace Stephen Strasburg (4-6, 2.40). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.