Grit Index: D-backs lose second straight to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their second straight game to the Nationals in Washington on Wednesday.
The D-backs have now dropped three straight, and are winless during the first two games of their 10-game road swing.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt recorded his NL-leading 67th RBI on a double in the first inning. Martin Prado also added a RBI single, accounting for the only runs of the game for Arizona.
The D-backs hitters didn't have an answer for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, who after giving up two runs in the first inning, was dominant.
Zimmermann (11-3) notched his NL-leading 11th win of the season after blanking Arizona over his final six innings of work. He gave up just three hits total and retired the last 10 D-backs he faced.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (4-7) suffered his seventh loss of the season, and hasn't picked up a win since June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Miley surrendered three runs, two earned, in seven innings for Arizona.
• The D-backs saw their record in one-run games drop to 17-11 with the loss.
• Zimmermann has now won 13 consecutive home decisions this season for the Nationals, tying the longest in club history.
The D-backs and Nationals will play the finale of their three-game set on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (9-0) will try once again for his 10th win of the season for Arizona. He will be opposed by Washington ace Stephen Strasburg (4-6, 2.40). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.