Grit Index: D-backs lose second straight to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their second straight game to the Nationals in Washington on Wednesday.
The D-backs have now dropped three straight, and are winless during the first two games of their 10-game road swing.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt recorded his NL-leading 67th RBI on a double in the first inning. Martin Prado also added a RBI single, accounting for the only runs of the game for Arizona.
The D-backs hitters didn't have an answer for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, who after giving up two runs in the first inning, was dominant.
Zimmermann (11-3) notched his NL-leading 11th win of the season after blanking Arizona over his final six innings of work. He gave up just three hits total and retired the last 10 D-backs he faced.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (4-7) suffered his seventh loss of the season, and hasn't picked up a win since June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Miley surrendered three runs, two earned, in seven innings for Arizona.
• The D-backs saw their record in one-run games drop to 17-11 with the loss.
• Zimmermann has now won 13 consecutive home decisions this season for the Nationals, tying the longest in club history.
The D-backs and Nationals will play the finale of their three-game set on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (9-0) will try once again for his 10th win of the season for Arizona. He will be opposed by Washington ace Stephen Strasburg (4-6, 2.40). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.