Grit Index: D-backs lose second straight to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their second straight game to the Nationals in Washington on Wednesday.
The D-backs have now dropped three straight, and are winless during the first two games of their 10-game road swing.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt recorded his NL-leading 67th RBI on a double in the first inning. Martin Prado also added a RBI single, accounting for the only runs of the game for Arizona.
The D-backs hitters didn't have an answer for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, who after giving up two runs in the first inning, was dominant.
Zimmermann (11-3) notched his NL-leading 11th win of the season after blanking Arizona over his final six innings of work. He gave up just three hits total and retired the last 10 D-backs he faced.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (4-7) suffered his seventh loss of the season, and hasn't picked up a win since June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Miley surrendered three runs, two earned, in seven innings for Arizona.
• The D-backs saw their record in one-run games drop to 17-11 with the loss.
• Zimmermann has now won 13 consecutive home decisions this season for the Nationals, tying the longest in club history.
The D-backs and Nationals will play the finale of their three-game set on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (9-0) will try once again for his 10th win of the season for Arizona. He will be opposed by Washington ace Stephen Strasburg (4-6, 2.40). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.