Grit Index: D-backs lose second straight to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their second straight game to the Nationals in Washington on Wednesday.
The D-backs have now dropped three straight, and are winless during the first two games of their 10-game road swing.
D-backs slugger Paul Goldschmidt recorded his NL-leading 67th RBI on a double in the first inning. Martin Prado also added a RBI single, accounting for the only runs of the game for Arizona.
The D-backs hitters didn't have an answer for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, who after giving up two runs in the first inning, was dominant.
Zimmermann (11-3) notched his NL-leading 11th win of the season after blanking Arizona over his final six innings of work. He gave up just three hits total and retired the last 10 D-backs he faced.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (4-7) suffered his seventh loss of the season, and hasn't picked up a win since June 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Miley surrendered three runs, two earned, in seven innings for Arizona.
• The D-backs saw their record in one-run games drop to 17-11 with the loss.
• Zimmermann has now won 13 consecutive home decisions this season for the Nationals, tying the longest in club history.
The D-backs and Nationals will play the finale of their three-game set on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. MST. Southpaw Patrick Corbin (9-0) will try once again for his 10th win of the season for Arizona. He will be opposed by Washington ace Stephen Strasburg (4-6, 2.40). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.