Grit Index: D-backs drop opener to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their series opener to the Nationals 7-5 on Tuesday night, kicking off a 10-game road trip on a sour note.
The D-backs fell behind 6-0 after starter Trevor Cahill labored through five innings. Kirk Gibson's squad didn't surrender, instead chipping away at the six run deficit throughout the game. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was back in lineup for the first time since going on the disabled list with a broken left hand on April 14. He was impressive at the plate in his return, going 2-for-4 with a double, single and a walk.
The D-backs tallied 14 hits in the loss, highlighted by Paul Goldschmidt's three knocks and Martin Prado's sixth home run of the season.
Cahill (3-9) surrendered six earned runs on eight hits with a home run and a walk in five innings. The D-backs' right-hander saw his ERA rise to 4.29 on the season. Cahill is on pace for a career-worst month, amassing a 9.30 ERA in June.
• The D-backs sent reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno to make room for Hill.
• Eric Hinske served his one-game suspension for his role in the June 11 brawl against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Prior to the game, Hinske saw his five-game suspension reduced by Major League Baseball to just one game.
• Nats starter Gio Gonzalez was winless his last eight starts before notching his fourth win of the season against the D-backs on Tuesday.
The D-backs and Nationals will play game two of their three-game series on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-6, 4.70) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Zimmermann for Washington (10-3, 2.26). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.