Grit Index: D-backs drop opener to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their series opener to the Nationals 7-5 on Tuesday night, kicking off a 10-game road trip on a sour note.
The D-backs fell behind 6-0 after starter Trevor Cahill labored through five innings. Kirk Gibson's squad didn't surrender, instead chipping away at the six run deficit throughout the game. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was back in lineup for the first time since going on the disabled list with a broken left hand on April 14. He was impressive at the plate in his return, going 2-for-4 with a double, single and a walk.
The D-backs tallied 14 hits in the loss, highlighted by Paul Goldschmidt's three knocks and Martin Prado's sixth home run of the season.
Cahill (3-9) surrendered six earned runs on eight hits with a home run and a walk in five innings. The D-backs' right-hander saw his ERA rise to 4.29 on the season. Cahill is on pace for a career-worst month, amassing a 9.30 ERA in June.
• The D-backs sent reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno to make room for Hill.
• Eric Hinske served his one-game suspension for his role in the June 11 brawl against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Prior to the game, Hinske saw his five-game suspension reduced by Major League Baseball to just one game.
• Nats starter Gio Gonzalez was winless his last eight starts before notching his fourth win of the season against the D-backs on Tuesday.
The D-backs and Nationals will play game two of their three-game series on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-6, 4.70) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Zimmermann for Washington (10-3, 2.26). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.