Grit Index: D-backs drop opener to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their series opener to the Nationals 7-5 on Tuesday night, kicking off a 10-game road trip on a sour note.
The D-backs fell behind 6-0 after starter Trevor Cahill labored through five innings. Kirk Gibson's squad didn't surrender, instead chipping away at the six run deficit throughout the game. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was back in lineup for the first time since going on the disabled list with a broken left hand on April 14. He was impressive at the plate in his return, going 2-for-4 with a double, single and a walk.
The D-backs tallied 14 hits in the loss, highlighted by Paul Goldschmidt's three knocks and Martin Prado's sixth home run of the season.
Cahill (3-9) surrendered six earned runs on eight hits with a home run and a walk in five innings. The D-backs' right-hander saw his ERA rise to 4.29 on the season. Cahill is on pace for a career-worst month, amassing a 9.30 ERA in June.
• The D-backs sent reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno to make room for Hill.
• Eric Hinske served his one-game suspension for his role in the June 11 brawl against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Prior to the game, Hinske saw his five-game suspension reduced by Major League Baseball to just one game.
• Nats starter Gio Gonzalez was winless his last eight starts before notching his fourth win of the season against the D-backs on Tuesday.
The D-backs and Nationals will play game two of their three-game series on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-6, 4.70) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Zimmermann for Washington (10-3, 2.26). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.