Grit Index: D-backs drop opener to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their series opener to the Nationals 7-5 on Tuesday night, kicking off a 10-game road trip on a sour note.
The D-backs fell behind 6-0 after starter Trevor Cahill labored through five innings. Kirk Gibson's squad didn't surrender, instead chipping away at the six run deficit throughout the game. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was back in lineup for the first time since going on the disabled list with a broken left hand on April 14. He was impressive at the plate in his return, going 2-for-4 with a double, single and a walk.
The D-backs tallied 14 hits in the loss, highlighted by Paul Goldschmidt's three knocks and Martin Prado's sixth home run of the season.
Cahill (3-9) surrendered six earned runs on eight hits with a home run and a walk in five innings. The D-backs' right-hander saw his ERA rise to 4.29 on the season. Cahill is on pace for a career-worst month, amassing a 9.30 ERA in June.
• The D-backs sent reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno to make room for Hill.
• Eric Hinske served his one-game suspension for his role in the June 11 brawl against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Prior to the game, Hinske saw his five-game suspension reduced by Major League Baseball to just one game.
• Nats starter Gio Gonzalez was winless his last eight starts before notching his fourth win of the season against the D-backs on Tuesday.
The D-backs and Nationals will play game two of their three-game series on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-6, 4.70) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Zimmermann for Washington (10-3, 2.26). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?