Grit Index: D-backs drop opener to Nationals
The Diamondbacks dropped their series opener to the Nationals 7-5 on Tuesday night, kicking off a 10-game road trip on a sour note.
The D-backs fell behind 6-0 after starter Trevor Cahill labored through five innings. Kirk Gibson's squad didn't surrender, instead chipping away at the six run deficit throughout the game. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was back in lineup for the first time since going on the disabled list with a broken left hand on April 14. He was impressive at the plate in his return, going 2-for-4 with a double, single and a walk.
The D-backs tallied 14 hits in the loss, highlighted by Paul Goldschmidt's three knocks and Martin Prado's sixth home run of the season.
Cahill (3-9) surrendered six earned runs on eight hits with a home run and a walk in five innings. The D-backs' right-hander saw his ERA rise to 4.29 on the season. Cahill is on pace for a career-worst month, amassing a 9.30 ERA in June.
• The D-backs sent reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno to make room for Hill.
• Eric Hinske served his one-game suspension for his role in the June 11 brawl against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night. Prior to the game, Hinske saw his five-game suspension reduced by Major League Baseball to just one game.
• Nats starter Gio Gonzalez was winless his last eight starts before notching his fourth win of the season against the D-backs on Tuesday.
The D-backs and Nationals will play game two of their three-game series on Wednesday at 4:05 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-6, 4.70) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Zimmermann for Washington (10-3, 2.26). The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.