Updated Jun 25, 2013 - 6:33 am
Patrick Corbin and Aaron Rodgers
Patrick Corbin reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. Back when Rodgers wasn't a household name and not recognized as one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Anyone that knew anything about football could tell Rodgers had all the skills to be an elite Q. He had a rifle arm, quick release, good mobility and, after watching him play well in his first year of replacing the legendary Brett Favre, the right stuff to be special. But proof of skill remained to be seen.
Corbin seems to be where Rodgers was. An excellent athlete for his position, Corbin's performance has revealed his talent. His velocity has been up on his fastball and his slider has been completely filthy, a pitch that is equally nasty to hitters on both sides of the plate. And his command has been superb.
These are the skills of Patrick Corbin. And like Aaron Rodgers, you can watch him compete at the highest level and know that he has the skill and talent to be at the top of the rotation. We're seeing the fruits of his labor and skill and it is nothing short of prodigious.
The hard part is believing what we're seeing. This is Patrick Corbin, after all, whom struggled to win a spot in the rotation coming out of spring training. He has pitched well but I doubt if pressed even Kirk Gibson could have foreseen 9-0 with a 2.19 ERA, a WHIP of 1.00 and seven innings/start?
The question is what does Corbin think about his success? And this is where he can learn from Aaron Rodgers.
Rodgers will never forget his troubled beginnings, dropping down draft boards and waiting to play behind a living legend. But these beginnings made him hungry and taught him things he would not soon forget. His humility is what sets him apart and his work ethic and these traits are inexorably tied to his success.
I hope Corbin thinks like Rodgers.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.