ESPN's Law: Corbin projects as a No. 2 starter
That was the overall opinion of ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law when assessing Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin.
"I think he can be a good No. 2 pitcher and that is what I am buying," Law told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday.
Corbin started the season as the No. 5 pitcher in the D-backs rotation after having to beat out Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado in spring training for that spot.
"I was never a huge Corbin fan and I violated one of my core beliefs," Law said. "Always bet on good athletes and he is a good athlete."
Last season, Corbin went 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and 86 strikeouts. He appeared in 22 games and started 17.
The improvements from last season to this season for Corbin have been drastic.
Corbin is a perfect 9-0 this season with a 2.19 ERA and already has 79 strikeouts in 15 games. The team is 14-1 in games that he has started.
"The velocity he has shown only in relief work is now being shown in the rotation," Law stated. "His athleticism has allowed him to add velocity and that is because of his quicker arm."
You would be hard-pressed to find a pitcher who has been as valuable as Corbin has been to a team's rotation in the first half of the MLB season.
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.