ESPN's Law: Corbin projects as a No. 2 starter
That was the overall opinion of ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law when assessing Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin.
"I think he can be a good No. 2 pitcher and that is what I am buying," Law told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday.
Corbin started the season as the No. 5 pitcher in the D-backs rotation after having to beat out Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado in spring training for that spot.
"I was never a huge Corbin fan and I violated one of my core beliefs," Law said. "Always bet on good athletes and he is a good athlete."
Last season, Corbin went 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and 86 strikeouts. He appeared in 22 games and started 17.
The improvements from last season to this season for Corbin have been drastic.
Corbin is a perfect 9-0 this season with a 2.19 ERA and already has 79 strikeouts in 15 games. The team is 14-1 in games that he has started.
"The velocity he has shown only in relief work is now being shown in the rotation," Law stated. "His athleticism has allowed him to add velocity and that is because of his quicker arm."
You would be hard-pressed to find a pitcher who has been as valuable as Corbin has been to a team's rotation in the first half of the MLB season.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.