ESPN's Law: Corbin projects as a No. 2 starter
That was the overall opinion of ESPN MLB analyst Keith Law when assessing Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Patrick Corbin.
"I think he can be a good No. 2 pitcher and that is what I am buying," Law told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday.
Corbin started the season as the No. 5 pitcher in the D-backs rotation after having to beat out Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado in spring training for that spot.
"I was never a huge Corbin fan and I violated one of my core beliefs," Law said. "Always bet on good athletes and he is a good athlete."
Last season, Corbin went 6-8 with a 4.54 ERA and 86 strikeouts. He appeared in 22 games and started 17.
The improvements from last season to this season for Corbin have been drastic.
Corbin is a perfect 9-0 this season with a 2.19 ERA and already has 79 strikeouts in 15 games. The team is 14-1 in games that he has started.
"The velocity he has shown only in relief work is now being shown in the rotation," Law stated. "His athleticism has allowed him to add velocity and that is because of his quicker arm."
You would be hard-pressed to find a pitcher who has been as valuable as Corbin has been to a team's rotation in the first half of the MLB season.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.