Updated Jun 24, 2013 - 6:40 am
D-backs second baseman Aaron Hill rejoining team for road trip
After Sunday's 4-2 loss to the Cincinnati Reds, manager Kirk Gibson announced that second baseman Aaron Hill will be activated from the disabled list -- a place he's been since April 16 after breaking his left hand -- and rejoin the team in time for their 10-game road swing against the NL East.
"It's been a long time," Hill said. "The guys have been doing a great, but it's been tough seeing how much fun they've been having. "It'll be fun to get back with the guys and go on a roll here."
The former All-Star spent the better part of the last week rehabbing with Triple-A Reno. In six games, Hill went 6-for-24 with eight runs scored, six RBI, a double and a triple.
In Hill's absence, the D-backs have gone 33-29 and moved from third to first place in the National West, doing so largely with a platoon of players at second base (Cliff Pennington, Willie Bloomquist, Josh Wilson and Martin Prado).
"A lot of guys have been going down, but these guys are playing great," said Hill. "Like I said, it's tough to watch all of these walk-off hits. I shouldn't say tough to watch, it's been fun to watch but tough not being a part of it.
"These guys have been doing great, pitching, bullpen, everybody. So it'll be interesting to see what we do when everybody comes back."
With Hill (.306, two home runs and six RBI) back on the 25-man roster, the D-backs have optioned left-handed reliever Joe Patterson to Triple-A Reno.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.