Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks introduce 34th-round pick Cory Hahn
Cory Hahn, a former Arizona State University outfielder who was paralyzed during his freshman year, visited Chase Field to meet members of the D-backs coaching staff and team before Friday night's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
"For what they've done, it's tremendous," Hahn said. "It just shows what kind of organization the Diamondback are."
Hahn was selected by the D-backs in the 34th round, 1,020th overall, of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
"We've never been prouder on draft day, than we were in the 34th round when we selected this guy," D-backs president Derrick Hall.
Hahn was a former All-American out of Mater Dei High School in California before coming to ASU.
Hahn had high hopes and support for a career in baseball when a tragic accident ended that dream for good.
On Feb. 10, 2011, only three days into his college career, Hahn suffered a devastating spinal cord injury while sliding head-first into second base during a game against New Mexico.
The injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and shattered any chance of Hahn ever playing in major leagues, but it didn't stop him from being drafted to the major leagues.
After the injury Hahn remained an important part of the ASU baseball team, working as a student coach for the past two seasons.
It was because of his perseverance and dedication that the D-backs honored Hahn by selecting him in the 34th round, the same number he wore on his jersey during his short playing career at ASU.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.