Updated Jun 21, 2013 - 9:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks introduce 34th-round pick Cory Hahn
Cory Hahn, a former Arizona State University outfielder who was paralyzed during his freshman year, visited Chase Field to meet members of the D-backs coaching staff and team before Friday night's game against the Cincinnati Reds.
"For what they've done, it's tremendous," Hahn said. "It just shows what kind of organization the Diamondback are."
Hahn was selected by the D-backs in the 34th round, 1,020th overall, of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
"We've never been prouder on draft day, than we were in the 34th round when we selected this guy," D-backs president Derrick Hall.
Hahn was a former All-American out of Mater Dei High School in California before coming to ASU.
Hahn had high hopes and support for a career in baseball when a tragic accident ended that dream for good.
On Feb. 10, 2011, only three days into his college career, Hahn suffered a devastating spinal cord injury while sliding head-first into second base during a game against New Mexico.
The injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and shattered any chance of Hahn ever playing in major leagues, but it didn't stop him from being drafted to the major leagues.
After the injury Hahn remained an important part of the ASU baseball team, working as a student coach for the past two seasons.
It was because of his perseverance and dedication that the D-backs honored Hahn by selecting him in the 34th round, the same number he wore on his jersey during his short playing career at ASU.
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- MLB insider on Diamondbacks: 'It's as if they've never seen Mark Trumbo play'
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.