Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 5:36 pm
D-backs GM: Don't expect Archie Bradley in the big leagues yet
Selected with the seventh-overall pick in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the 20-year-old has risen through the team's farm system at a steady rate, compiling a 2.90 ERA over in 220.2 professional innings.
Currently with Double-A Mobile, the right-hander has a 1.50 ERA to go along with a 5-2 record. He's struck out 54 batters in 54 innings of work, while walking 26.
He's been good. Very good. And because of that, along with the emergence of top-flight young starters all around baseball, some are wondering if the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Bradley may not be long for the minor leagues.
"I think he still needs to make a few more starts down in Double-A," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He's coming along well, pitching well.
"I think the innings down there are good for him."
Towers admitted that when he sees someone like Miami's Jose Fernandez who, at 20, held the D-backs to just two runs on three hits Thursday, it is fun to think about a matchup with someone like he and Bradley.
But, even with the team's struggles in the rotation -- with both effectiveness and injuries -- Towers has no plans to rush his top prospect along.
"In due time," he said of when Bradley will get a call up. "I think the innings are good for him down there now, and I guess there's always a chance he could be here by the end of the year, but we like how things are going right now down in Mobile."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.