Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 5:36 pm
D-backs GM: Don't expect Archie Bradley in the big leagues yet
Selected with the seventh-overall pick in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the 20-year-old has risen through the team's farm system at a steady rate, compiling a 2.90 ERA over in 220.2 professional innings.
Currently with Double-A Mobile, the right-hander has a 1.50 ERA to go along with a 5-2 record. He's struck out 54 batters in 54 innings of work, while walking 26.
He's been good. Very good. And because of that, along with the emergence of top-flight young starters all around baseball, some are wondering if the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Bradley may not be long for the minor leagues.
"I think he still needs to make a few more starts down in Double-A," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He's coming along well, pitching well.
"I think the innings down there are good for him."
Towers admitted that when he sees someone like Miami's Jose Fernandez who, at 20, held the D-backs to just two runs on three hits Thursday, it is fun to think about a matchup with someone like he and Bradley.
But, even with the team's struggles in the rotation -- with both effectiveness and injuries -- Towers has no plans to rush his top prospect along.
"In due time," he said of when Bradley will get a call up. "I think the innings are good for him down there now, and I guess there's always a chance he could be here by the end of the year, but we like how things are going right now down in Mobile."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.