Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 5:36 pm
D-backs GM: Don't expect Archie Bradley in the big leagues yet
Selected with the seventh-overall pick in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the 20-year-old has risen through the team's farm system at a steady rate, compiling a 2.90 ERA over in 220.2 professional innings.
Currently with Double-A Mobile, the right-hander has a 1.50 ERA to go along with a 5-2 record. He's struck out 54 batters in 54 innings of work, while walking 26.
He's been good. Very good. And because of that, along with the emergence of top-flight young starters all around baseball, some are wondering if the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Bradley may not be long for the minor leagues.
"I think he still needs to make a few more starts down in Double-A," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He's coming along well, pitching well.
"I think the innings down there are good for him."
Towers admitted that when he sees someone like Miami's Jose Fernandez who, at 20, held the D-backs to just two runs on three hits Thursday, it is fun to think about a matchup with someone like he and Bradley.
But, even with the team's struggles in the rotation -- with both effectiveness and injuries -- Towers has no plans to rush his top prospect along.
"In due time," he said of when Bradley will get a call up. "I think the innings are good for him down there now, and I guess there's always a chance he could be here by the end of the year, but we like how things are going right now down in Mobile."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?