Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 12:43 am
Arizona Diamondbacks still looking to get to full strength
As of Tuesday night, Arizona has seven guys on the DL with Matt Reynolds, Brandon McCarthy, Eric Chavez, J.J. Putz, Aaron Hill, Adam Eaton and Daniel Hudson.
Before Tuesday's game against the Miami Marlins, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson gave the media some injury updates,
"(Eric) Chavez is here," Gibson said. "He hit today off the tee and I think he hit some off the machine; he ran and took some extra ground balls."
Chavez is dealing with a strained right oblique and was put on the DL on May 31. So far he seems to be making progress each day.
"He's coming fast right now," said Gibson. "Hopefully it'll stay the same."
Closer J.J. Putz was put on the disabled list on May 8 with a strained right elbow. Putz has been working his way back here in Arizona and is now headed to Reno for some rehab starts.
"J.J. went down there; he's on his way to Reno right now," said Gibson. "I think he's going to throw Thursday, Saturday and maybe Monday, Tuesday. Get him back to back and see how he's feeling."
This isn't the first time Putz has dealt with elbow issues. He missed a month of the season in 2012 and missed most of 2009 after surgery to remove some bone chips in his elbow.
Gibson was also asked how Putz will fit back into the bullpen upon his return.
"I don't have an answer for you right now for what we're going to do," said Gibson. "We haven't really talked about it. I think right now our focus is on getting him healthy, making sure he's ready to pitch here. We do want him to be able to throw back to back days when he comes back."
Gibson's concern about Putz throwing back-to-back days is even more crucial over the next couple weeks with Ian Kennedy out and Eric Hinske's looming suspension due to the brawl in Los Angeles.
"We're going to be short a guy certainly next week and then with Hinske me might be short a guy then too so I want him to be able to throw back to back," said Gibson. "For him to be able to come up and throw one day and then have to take a day off, we can deal with it but this probably isn't the best time to deal with it."
As for the others on the DL, second baseman Aaron Hill was in the lineup again on Tuesday for Triple-A Reno and the D-backs hope to get him back soon. He's coming back from a broken hand he suffered back in April and starter Daniel Hudson underwent successful Tommy John surgery Tuesday as well.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.