Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 9:27 am
D-backs turn to Randall Delgado during Kennedy suspension
The supension -- the longest given to a pitcher since 2005 -- leaves manager Kirk Gibson no choice but to shuffle his pitching rotation with Kennedy not eligible to return until June 29 when the D-backs play the Braves in Atlanta.
"(Randall) Delgado will start on Tuesday, that's the start of it," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said after Monday's 3-2 loss to the Florida Marlins at Chase Field. "We'll have to wait and see where we're at and how our pitching is.
"We have to decide whether we're going to be short a position player or short a pitcher. Based upon how the games go, we'll determine what we do."
Delgado, acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade in January, has struggled at Triple-A Reno this season. The 23-year-old right-hander is just 2-5 with a 5.91 ERA in 13 starts for the Aces this season. In 64 innings of work, Delgado has walked 35 batters -- the fifth-most in the Pacific Coast League.
Delgado did work two innings in relief for the Diamondbacks June 3 in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. He allowed four hits and two earned runs while striking out three.
Two of Delgado's five big league wins have come against the Marlins. On September 20, 2011, Delgado threw five innings of shutout baseball for the Braves in a 4-0 win over the Marlins. Last June 6, Delgado allowed just one run over 6.1 innings while striking out seven in a 2-1 win in Miami.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.