Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 9:27 am
D-backs turn to Randall Delgado during Kennedy suspension
The supension -- the longest given to a pitcher since 2005 -- leaves manager Kirk Gibson no choice but to shuffle his pitching rotation with Kennedy not eligible to return until June 29 when the D-backs play the Braves in Atlanta.
"(Randall) Delgado will start on Tuesday, that's the start of it," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said after Monday's 3-2 loss to the Florida Marlins at Chase Field. "We'll have to wait and see where we're at and how our pitching is.
"We have to decide whether we're going to be short a position player or short a pitcher. Based upon how the games go, we'll determine what we do."
Delgado, acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade in January, has struggled at Triple-A Reno this season. The 23-year-old right-hander is just 2-5 with a 5.91 ERA in 13 starts for the Aces this season. In 64 innings of work, Delgado has walked 35 batters -- the fifth-most in the Pacific Coast League.
Delgado did work two innings in relief for the Diamondbacks June 3 in a 7-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. He allowed four hits and two earned runs while striking out three.
Two of Delgado's five big league wins have come against the Marlins. On September 20, 2011, Delgado threw five innings of shutout baseball for the Braves in a 4-0 win over the Marlins. Last June 6, Delgado allowed just one run over 6.1 innings while striking out seven in a 2-1 win in Miami.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.