Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 6:36 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson not concerned about approach at the plate
"We came off a 20-hit game before that series so it's not been chronic," manager Kirk Gibson said. "I probably should give more credit to the Padres' pitchers; they really pounded the zone, got ahead and made good quality pitches on the edges."
The D-backs are fourth in the National League in batting average at .262, and they're hitting .302 with runners in scoring position in 15 games in June -- that's good for third best in all of baseball.
"When you get behind all the time you get a little jumpy sometimes," said Gibson. "[The Padres] made some good pitches but at the same time maybe we didn't hang in there as good as we have in the past and we didn't have good results. We scored six runs in three games and four of those in one game so it's our worst stretch this year."
Gibson's club is looking to get something going during this upcoming home stand and they have some good numbers against the Marlins. Outfielder Jason Kubel is a career .412 hitter in 10 games against Miami, and veteran Martin Prado has hit .359 in his last 32 games against the Marlins.
D-backs could also stand to get Paul Goldschmidt going again on the homestand, as well. As the D-backs first baseman has gone, so has the team in 2013. During Arizona's three-game sweep in San Diego, Goldschmidt went 0-for-10 with two walks and a run scored. He's also hitting just .091 overall in his last eight games (3-for-33).
"After the game we just move on," said Gibson of the team's mindset after Sunday's loss. "We're home, in our home ballpark and you just let that one go. Let that series go."
The three-game series sweep over the weekend against the Padres marked the first time in 2013 Gibson and Co. have been swept on the road.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.