Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 6:36 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson not concerned about approach at the plate
"We came off a 20-hit game before that series so it's not been chronic," manager Kirk Gibson said. "I probably should give more credit to the Padres' pitchers; they really pounded the zone, got ahead and made good quality pitches on the edges."
The D-backs are fourth in the National League in batting average at .262, and they're hitting .302 with runners in scoring position in 15 games in June -- that's good for third best in all of baseball.
"When you get behind all the time you get a little jumpy sometimes," said Gibson. "[The Padres] made some good pitches but at the same time maybe we didn't hang in there as good as we have in the past and we didn't have good results. We scored six runs in three games and four of those in one game so it's our worst stretch this year."
Gibson's club is looking to get something going during this upcoming home stand and they have some good numbers against the Marlins. Outfielder Jason Kubel is a career .412 hitter in 10 games against Miami, and veteran Martin Prado has hit .359 in his last 32 games against the Marlins.
D-backs could also stand to get Paul Goldschmidt going again on the homestand, as well. As the D-backs first baseman has gone, so has the team in 2013. During Arizona's three-game sweep in San Diego, Goldschmidt went 0-for-10 with two walks and a run scored. He's also hitting just .091 overall in his last eight games (3-for-33).
"After the game we just move on," said Gibson of the team's mindset after Sunday's loss. "We're home, in our home ballpark and you just let that one go. Let that series go."
The three-game series sweep over the weekend against the Padres marked the first time in 2013 Gibson and Co. have been swept on the road.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.