Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 7:03 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addresses injury situation prior to Monday's game
Prior to Monday's game against Miami Marlins, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addressed the injury situation and provided updates on Adam Eaton, Brandon McCarthy and J.J. Putz.
McCarthy, who is 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA this season, has been out of the rotation since June 1 because of right shoulder inflammation.
"I don't know we have an answer for why it happens," Gibson said in regards McCarthy's shoulder issues. "It happens and you try to calm it down.
"He's out there today and will throw a bullpen tomorrow."
Putz has been on the disabled list since May 8 with a strained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
Prior to his injury, Putz had a 4.26 ERA and had blown four blown saves. However, he has saved 82 games for the D-backs since coming to the Valley in 2011. According to Gibson, he's close to returning.
"He might have a live bullpen coming up soon," Gibson stated. "My guess is a live session and then get him into a game, but it hasn't been determined yet."
Prized prospect Adam Eaton hasn't played a game this season due to a left elbow strain he suffered in spring training, but the D-backs outfielder seems to be getting closer to returning after suffering a setback on May 22.
"He threw yesterday and feels fine," said Gibson. "So, we will probably start to stretch it out a bit.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.