Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 7:03 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addresses injury situation prior to Monday's game
Prior to Monday's game against Miami Marlins, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson addressed the injury situation and provided updates on Adam Eaton, Brandon McCarthy and J.J. Putz.
McCarthy, who is 2-4 with a 5.00 ERA this season, has been out of the rotation since June 1 because of right shoulder inflammation.
"I don't know we have an answer for why it happens," Gibson said in regards McCarthy's shoulder issues. "It happens and you try to calm it down.
"He's out there today and will throw a bullpen tomorrow."
Putz has been on the disabled list since May 8 with a strained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
Prior to his injury, Putz had a 4.26 ERA and had blown four blown saves. However, he has saved 82 games for the D-backs since coming to the Valley in 2011. According to Gibson, he's close to returning.
"He might have a live bullpen coming up soon," Gibson stated. "My guess is a live session and then get him into a game, but it hasn't been determined yet."
Prized prospect Adam Eaton hasn't played a game this season due to a left elbow strain he suffered in spring training, but the D-backs outfielder seems to be getting closer to returning after suffering a setback on May 22.
"He threw yesterday and feels fine," said Gibson. "So, we will probably start to stretch it out a bit.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.