Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 6:04 am
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: Randall Delgado will start Tuesday, Josh Collmenter great in current role
But Collmenter, a former starter who has thrived (3-0 with a 2.86 ERA) as the team's utility pitcher out of the bullpen in 2013, was passed over in favor of Randall Delgado.
Before Monday night's game against the Miami Marlins, Gibson said the decision had less to do with Collmenter and more to do with not wanting to fill multiple positions.
"He's good at what he does," Gibson said of Collmenter. "You could say arguably he's as good as there is. You get in an extra inning game, you put Collmenter in. He's won three of them for us and done his job.
"I think ultimately if you moved him into the starter's role, then you're taking somebody to fill his role and you're filling two roles. Here, we are just filling one."
Delgado, who was acquired in the blockbuster trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January, made one relief appearance (allowed two runs on four hits in two innings of work) for the D-backs back on June 3 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
The 23-year-old right-hander is 2-5 with 5.91 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Reno this season, but according to Gibson made notable strides in his most recent start (allowed one run on two hits in 6 2/3 innings of work) against the Sacramento Rivercats on June 13.
"Delgado was up here, got his feet wet this year and went back down, worked on some things, threw a good game and had better command," said Gibson. "He's the guy."
When asked how he'll handle the rotation moving forward after the Marlins leave town Wednesday, the D-backs manager was rather non-committal.
"I'm not sure," Gibson said about his future plans. "We're just going to try and get through this series right here and get some things stabilized."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.