Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 6:04 am
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: Randall Delgado will start Tuesday, Josh Collmenter great in current role
But Collmenter, a former starter who has thrived (3-0 with a 2.86 ERA) as the team's utility pitcher out of the bullpen in 2013, was passed over in favor of Randall Delgado.
Before Monday night's game against the Miami Marlins, Gibson said the decision had less to do with Collmenter and more to do with not wanting to fill multiple positions.
"He's good at what he does," Gibson said of Collmenter. "You could say arguably he's as good as there is. You get in an extra inning game, you put Collmenter in. He's won three of them for us and done his job.
"I think ultimately if you moved him into the starter's role, then you're taking somebody to fill his role and you're filling two roles. Here, we are just filling one."
Delgado, who was acquired in the blockbuster trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January, made one relief appearance (allowed two runs on four hits in two innings of work) for the D-backs back on June 3 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
The 23-year-old right-hander is 2-5 with 5.91 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Reno this season, but according to Gibson made notable strides in his most recent start (allowed one run on two hits in 6 2/3 innings of work) against the Sacramento Rivercats on June 13.
"Delgado was up here, got his feet wet this year and went back down, worked on some things, threw a good game and had better command," said Gibson. "He's the guy."
When asked how he'll handle the rotation moving forward after the Marlins leave town Wednesday, the D-backs manager was rather non-committal.
"I'm not sure," Gibson said about his future plans. "We're just going to try and get through this series right here and get some things stabilized."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.