Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 6:04 am
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: Randall Delgado will start Tuesday, Josh Collmenter great in current role
But Collmenter, a former starter who has thrived (3-0 with a 2.86 ERA) as the team's utility pitcher out of the bullpen in 2013, was passed over in favor of Randall Delgado.
Before Monday night's game against the Miami Marlins, Gibson said the decision had less to do with Collmenter and more to do with not wanting to fill multiple positions.
"He's good at what he does," Gibson said of Collmenter. "You could say arguably he's as good as there is. You get in an extra inning game, you put Collmenter in. He's won three of them for us and done his job.
"I think ultimately if you moved him into the starter's role, then you're taking somebody to fill his role and you're filling two roles. Here, we are just filling one."
Delgado, who was acquired in the blockbuster trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January, made one relief appearance (allowed two runs on four hits in two innings of work) for the D-backs back on June 3 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
The 23-year-old right-hander is 2-5 with 5.91 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Reno this season, but according to Gibson made notable strides in his most recent start (allowed one run on two hits in 6 2/3 innings of work) against the Sacramento Rivercats on June 13.
"Delgado was up here, got his feet wet this year and went back down, worked on some things, threw a good game and had better command," said Gibson. "He's the guy."
When asked how he'll handle the rotation moving forward after the Marlins leave town Wednesday, the D-backs manager was rather non-committal.
"I'm not sure," Gibson said about his future plans. "We're just going to try and get through this series right here and get some things stabilized."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.