Updated Jun 18, 2013 - 6:04 am
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: Randall Delgado will start Tuesday, Josh Collmenter great in current role
But Collmenter, a former starter who has thrived (3-0 with a 2.86 ERA) as the team's utility pitcher out of the bullpen in 2013, was passed over in favor of Randall Delgado.
Before Monday night's game against the Miami Marlins, Gibson said the decision had less to do with Collmenter and more to do with not wanting to fill multiple positions.
"He's good at what he does," Gibson said of Collmenter. "You could say arguably he's as good as there is. You get in an extra inning game, you put Collmenter in. He's won three of them for us and done his job.
"I think ultimately if you moved him into the starter's role, then you're taking somebody to fill his role and you're filling two roles. Here, we are just filling one."
Delgado, who was acquired in the blockbuster trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January, made one relief appearance (allowed two runs on four hits in two innings of work) for the D-backs back on June 3 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
The 23-year-old right-hander is 2-5 with 5.91 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Reno this season, but according to Gibson made notable strides in his most recent start (allowed one run on two hits in 6 2/3 innings of work) against the Sacramento Rivercats on June 13.
"Delgado was up here, got his feet wet this year and went back down, worked on some things, threw a good game and had better command," said Gibson. "He's the guy."
When asked how he'll handle the rotation moving forward after the Marlins leave town Wednesday, the D-backs manager was rather non-committal.
"I'm not sure," Gibson said about his future plans. "We're just going to try and get through this series right here and get some things stabilized."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.