Grit Index: D-backs drop second straight to Padres
Didi Gregorius committed a costly error on a ground ball by Chris Denorfia in the fourth inning that resulted in five runs for San Diego. The D-backs couldn't overcome the damage in a 6-4 loss to the Padres at Petco Park on Saturday night.
Center fielder Gerardo Parra extended his hitting streak to 10 games, with an RBI double in the ninth inning. Parra is now batting .319 with 23 doubles on the season.
Catcher Miguel Montero hit a two-run home run in the first inning, staking Arizona to an early lead. The blast was much needed for Montero, who has struggled at the plate this season. The 29-year-old has hit just .221 with four home runs and 22 RBI in 217 at-bats this year.
Wade Miley (4-6) got tagged with the loss, but he was victimized by Gregorius's fifth inning error. The D-backs' left-hander allowed six runs, but only one earned, over six innings. Unfortunately, Miley surrendered a three-run home run to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal in that fateful inning, which proved to be the difference maker in the game.
The 26-year-old has now given up at least four runs four times this season.
• With the win, the Padres reached .500 for the first time in two seasons, and moved to within three games of the D-backs in the NL West standings. San Diego has also won five straight.
• Second baseman Chad Pennington went 1-for-4 with an RBI on his birthday. In four games on his birthday, Pennington is 7-for-16 with five runs scored and five RBI.
• The D-backs couldn't solve Padres starter Jason Marquis, who improved to 9-2 on the season. Marquis tossed 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on three hits. He has now won his eighth consecutive decision.
The D-backs and Padres will complete their three-game series on Sunday, June 16 at 1:10 p.m. local time. Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.49), who is appealing a 10-game suspension for his actions in the brawl against the Dodgers, will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06) for the Padres. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.