Grit Index: D-backs drop second straight to Padres
Didi Gregorius committed a costly error on a ground ball by Chris Denorfia in the fourth inning that resulted in five runs for San Diego. The D-backs couldn't overcome the damage in a 6-4 loss to the Padres at Petco Park on Saturday night.
Center fielder Gerardo Parra extended his hitting streak to 10 games, with an RBI double in the ninth inning. Parra is now batting .319 with 23 doubles on the season.
Catcher Miguel Montero hit a two-run home run in the first inning, staking Arizona to an early lead. The blast was much needed for Montero, who has struggled at the plate this season. The 29-year-old has hit just .221 with four home runs and 22 RBI in 217 at-bats this year.
Wade Miley (4-6) got tagged with the loss, but he was victimized by Gregorius's fifth inning error. The D-backs' left-hander allowed six runs, but only one earned, over six innings. Unfortunately, Miley surrendered a three-run home run to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal in that fateful inning, which proved to be the difference maker in the game.
The 26-year-old has now given up at least four runs four times this season.
• With the win, the Padres reached .500 for the first time in two seasons, and moved to within three games of the D-backs in the NL West standings. San Diego has also won five straight.
• Second baseman Chad Pennington went 1-for-4 with an RBI on his birthday. In four games on his birthday, Pennington is 7-for-16 with five runs scored and five RBI.
• The D-backs couldn't solve Padres starter Jason Marquis, who improved to 9-2 on the season. Marquis tossed 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on three hits. He has now won his eighth consecutive decision.
The D-backs and Padres will complete their three-game series on Sunday, June 16 at 1:10 p.m. local time. Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.49), who is appealing a 10-game suspension for his actions in the brawl against the Dodgers, will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06) for the Padres. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?