Grit Index: D-backs drop second straight to Padres
Didi Gregorius committed a costly error on a ground ball by Chris Denorfia in the fourth inning that resulted in five runs for San Diego. The D-backs couldn't overcome the damage in a 6-4 loss to the Padres at Petco Park on Saturday night.
Center fielder Gerardo Parra extended his hitting streak to 10 games, with an RBI double in the ninth inning. Parra is now batting .319 with 23 doubles on the season.
Catcher Miguel Montero hit a two-run home run in the first inning, staking Arizona to an early lead. The blast was much needed for Montero, who has struggled at the plate this season. The 29-year-old has hit just .221 with four home runs and 22 RBI in 217 at-bats this year.
Wade Miley (4-6) got tagged with the loss, but he was victimized by Gregorius's fifth inning error. The D-backs' left-hander allowed six runs, but only one earned, over six innings. Unfortunately, Miley surrendered a three-run home run to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal in that fateful inning, which proved to be the difference maker in the game.
The 26-year-old has now given up at least four runs four times this season.
• With the win, the Padres reached .500 for the first time in two seasons, and moved to within three games of the D-backs in the NL West standings. San Diego has also won five straight.
• Second baseman Chad Pennington went 1-for-4 with an RBI on his birthday. In four games on his birthday, Pennington is 7-for-16 with five runs scored and five RBI.
• The D-backs couldn't solve Padres starter Jason Marquis, who improved to 9-2 on the season. Marquis tossed 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on three hits. He has now won his eighth consecutive decision.
The D-backs and Padres will complete their three-game series on Sunday, June 16 at 1:10 p.m. local time. Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.49), who is appealing a 10-game suspension for his actions in the brawl against the Dodgers, will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06) for the Padres. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.