Grit Index: D-backs drop second straight to Padres
Didi Gregorius committed a costly error on a ground ball by Chris Denorfia in the fourth inning that resulted in five runs for San Diego. The D-backs couldn't overcome the damage in a 6-4 loss to the Padres at Petco Park on Saturday night.
Center fielder Gerardo Parra extended his hitting streak to 10 games, with an RBI double in the ninth inning. Parra is now batting .319 with 23 doubles on the season.
Catcher Miguel Montero hit a two-run home run in the first inning, staking Arizona to an early lead. The blast was much needed for Montero, who has struggled at the plate this season. The 29-year-old has hit just .221 with four home runs and 22 RBI in 217 at-bats this year.
Wade Miley (4-6) got tagged with the loss, but he was victimized by Gregorius's fifth inning error. The D-backs' left-hander allowed six runs, but only one earned, over six innings. Unfortunately, Miley surrendered a three-run home run to Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal in that fateful inning, which proved to be the difference maker in the game.
The 26-year-old has now given up at least four runs four times this season.
• With the win, the Padres reached .500 for the first time in two seasons, and moved to within three games of the D-backs in the NL West standings. San Diego has also won five straight.
• Second baseman Chad Pennington went 1-for-4 with an RBI on his birthday. In four games on his birthday, Pennington is 7-for-16 with five runs scored and five RBI.
• The D-backs couldn't solve Padres starter Jason Marquis, who improved to 9-2 on the season. Marquis tossed 6.2 innings, giving up three runs on three hits. He has now won his eighth consecutive decision.
The D-backs and Padres will complete their three-game series on Sunday, June 16 at 1:10 p.m. local time. Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.49), who is appealing a 10-game suspension for his actions in the brawl against the Dodgers, will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06) for the Padres. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.