Updated Jun 15, 2013 - 7:51 am
Grit Index: D-backs' woeful night at the plate spoils Cahill's start
In the bottom of the six, with the Diamondbacks leading 1-0, the Padres loaded the bases off Cahill without getting a single ball out of the infield (hit by pitch, walk and infield single). With two outs and a 3-2 count on San Diego's Logan Forsythe, the Arizona right-hander left a sinkerball up in the zone that was sent right back up the box and into center field for a two-run, go-ahead single.
Two runs were more than enough for left-hander Eric Stults, who was masterful on the mound (allowed two hits over nine innings), as the Padres hung on for a 2-1 victory over the D-backs.
Mistake pitch aside, Cahill rebounded nicely Friday after two horrific starts in which he allowed a combined 13 runs on 18 hits.
His 10 strikeouts were the most he's recorded in a D-backs' uniform, and he compiled them in a variety of ways. Cahill's command of the fastball, sinkerball and curveball was as good as it's been all season.
Eric Stults came in with a 5-5 record and a 3.31 ERA, but the D-backs made the left-hander look like a Cy Young Award candidate.
All night, Arizona hitters were impatient at the plate, and after allowing a run in the first inning, Stults finished his night by retiring 25 of the last 27 batters he faced.
He Said It
"Right from the get go, he was pretty darn good. It was just the sixth that got him." -- Alan Trammell on Trevor Cahill
• Since 2012, Arizona is 10-15 overall against San Diego -- its worst record against any NL West foe in that span.
• Manager Kirk Gibson served his one-game suspension Friday. Gibson along with seven others were accessed suspensions for their roles in Tuesday's brawl at Dodger Stadium.
• Stults' complete game was the first of his seven-year career.
The Diamondbacks will continue their three-game series on Saturday with the San Diego Padres on Saturday at 7:10 p.m. MST. Left-hander Wade Miley (4-5, 4.89 ERA) will take the hill for D-backs. He'll be opposed by left-hander Clayton Richard (1-5, 8.06 ERA) for the Padres.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.