Updated Jun 13, 2013 - 3:03 pm
Who's Your Daddy: FOX MLB insider Ken Rosenthal
What is the most important life lesson your dad passed down to you?
He instilled in me a work ethic, and he just always told me you have to work hard. That's what I've tried to instill in my kids, do your best. That was kind of his whole thing. I don't care what your grades are, but do your best and that stuck with me, it's something I've tried to share with my kids as well.
What is the most memorable sports experience you remember sharing with your dad?
I've got a few. I grew up on Long Island...I would say my most memorable experience, there were two, I would say. One was the idea of picking up and going to a Mets game on like a Wednesday night in the summer, spontaneously, and we'd do this a lot. It was always a surprise to me, but I just thought it was the coolest thing. It was a lot cheaper to go to games then, you could do it and maybe buy tickets for five bucks each, sit in the upper deck and just hang out, it was great.
And the other one, I would say, and this is something that it hit me many years later. This was when I was already working, I think I was working at Camden, New Jersey at the time, there was a newspaper there...it's still there...and I came home to New York and we went to a Ranger game, it was like a November game, Rangers/Penguins, something like that. And I noticed my dad, he was really excited. The Rangers scored, and thing is it's a meaningless NHL regular season game; I'm happy to be there, don't get me wrong, but come on, stakes are not exactly high. But he was excited, and it kind of hit me at that moment: that's where my passion for sports comes from. Look at that, here's a guy that's excited about a meaningless November Ranger game and obviously that got passed on. Now it didn't get passed on to my kids, who really don't like sports all that much, but it was really cool to see that and just kind of have that realization hit me.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com writer
- Dan Hicks, NBC golf commentator
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA analyst
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president
- Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports MLB insider
- Dan Majerle, GCU basketball head coach
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst
- Kevin Gibson, D-backs' manager's son
- Kirk Gibson Jr., D-backs' manager's son
- D-backs analyst Tom Candiotti
- Suns forward Jared Dudley
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson
- Dodgers analyst Steve Lyons
- Arizona Sports reminisces
- Franz: Remembering your dad this Father's Day
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.