Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:18 pm
D-backs GM Towers: We've got more to lose than the Dodgers
Batters got plunked, pitchers got upset, punches were thrown and people got ejected.
The GM's biggest worry, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, is not so much about the feud continuing, but rather losing players to suspension.
"We've got more to lose than them," he said. "We're in first place, they're in last place right now."
Well, even with the Dodgers' 5-3 win Tuesday night, they are still just 28-35, which is 7.5 games back of the division leading D-backs at 36-29. So in a way, Towers has a point. Miniature in-game battles kind of pale in comparison to the war of trying to win the division, so losing anyone due to the kerfuffle -- either due to injury or suspension -- would be incredibly damaging.
And, when he looked at what happened, Towers said it seemed as if most of the punches were being thrown by people wearing blue and white uniforms.
"They had about 10 guys on the disabled list that aren't supposed to be out there that were all out there," he said. "It was a sea of blue and (coaches) Turner Ward and Don Baylor tried to hold their own in the middle of a mosh pit, but I'm sure that Joe Torre, Joe Garagiola and the commissioner's office will review it, and I'm sure there will be forthcoming suspensions on both sides.
"Hopefully they just look at it real closely and talk to the umpires and get it right."
The league said Wednesday that it is still investigating the incident and will hand out discipline Thursday.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.