Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:18 pm
D-backs GM Towers: We've got more to lose than the Dodgers
Batters got plunked, pitchers got upset, punches were thrown and people got ejected.
The GM's biggest worry, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, is not so much about the feud continuing, but rather losing players to suspension.
"We've got more to lose than them," he said. "We're in first place, they're in last place right now."
Well, even with the Dodgers' 5-3 win Tuesday night, they are still just 28-35, which is 7.5 games back of the division leading D-backs at 36-29. So in a way, Towers has a point. Miniature in-game battles kind of pale in comparison to the war of trying to win the division, so losing anyone due to the kerfuffle -- either due to injury or suspension -- would be incredibly damaging.
And, when he looked at what happened, Towers said it seemed as if most of the punches were being thrown by people wearing blue and white uniforms.
"They had about 10 guys on the disabled list that aren't supposed to be out there that were all out there," he said. "It was a sea of blue and (coaches) Turner Ward and Don Baylor tried to hold their own in the middle of a mosh pit, but I'm sure that Joe Torre, Joe Garagiola and the commissioner's office will review it, and I'm sure there will be forthcoming suspensions on both sides.
"Hopefully they just look at it real closely and talk to the umpires and get it right."
The league said Wednesday that it is still investigating the incident and will hand out discipline Thursday.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.