Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:21 pm
ESPN analyst: Ian Kennedy showed he is a good teammate
But, according to ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian, the one thing Kennedy's Arizona Diamondbacks teammates should know is that the pitcher has their backs.
"Now there's a good teammate," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of how people should view the right-hander. "One of our guys got hit and he hit somebody in retribution."
Kennedy, though, says he was not trying to hit the Dodger pitcher. However, Kurkjian believes he was sticking up for catcher Miguel Montero, who was hit in the back with a Greinke pitch in the previous inning.
As it is, it's as if none of the pitchers are truly at fault for anything that happened. Both Greinke and Kennedy were just sticking up for teammates, and each made sure they did just that.
"Montero clearly got hit on purpose," Kurkjian said, noting that Kennedy saw that and felt like he had to do something. And, while some feel like no one should have gotten hit after Montero, the analyst understands why everything else transpired.
"I know the Diamondbacks look at it like the only guy who got hit on purpose was Montero, and that's why retribution was needed."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.