Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:21 pm
ESPN analyst: Ian Kennedy showed he is a good teammate
But, according to ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian, the one thing Kennedy's Arizona Diamondbacks teammates should know is that the pitcher has their backs.
"Now there's a good teammate," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of how people should view the right-hander. "One of our guys got hit and he hit somebody in retribution."
Kennedy, though, says he was not trying to hit the Dodger pitcher. However, Kurkjian believes he was sticking up for catcher Miguel Montero, who was hit in the back with a Greinke pitch in the previous inning.
As it is, it's as if none of the pitchers are truly at fault for anything that happened. Both Greinke and Kennedy were just sticking up for teammates, and each made sure they did just that.
"Montero clearly got hit on purpose," Kurkjian said, noting that Kennedy saw that and felt like he had to do something. And, while some feel like no one should have gotten hit after Montero, the analyst understands why everything else transpired.
"I know the Diamondbacks look at it like the only guy who got hit on purpose was Montero, and that's why retribution was needed."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
- Luis Gonzalez: Mark Trumbo a Christmas gift for Paul Goldschmidt
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?