Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:21 pm
ESPN analyst: Ian Kennedy showed he is a good teammate
But, according to ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian, the one thing Kennedy's Arizona Diamondbacks teammates should know is that the pitcher has their backs.
"Now there's a good teammate," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo of how people should view the right-hander. "One of our guys got hit and he hit somebody in retribution."
Kennedy, though, says he was not trying to hit the Dodger pitcher. However, Kurkjian believes he was sticking up for catcher Miguel Montero, who was hit in the back with a Greinke pitch in the previous inning.
As it is, it's as if none of the pitchers are truly at fault for anything that happened. Both Greinke and Kennedy were just sticking up for teammates, and each made sure they did just that.
"Montero clearly got hit on purpose," Kurkjian said, noting that Kennedy saw that and felt like he had to do something. And, while some feel like no one should have gotten hit after Montero, the analyst understands why everything else transpired.
"I know the Diamondbacks look at it like the only guy who got hit on purpose was Montero, and that's why retribution was needed."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.