Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 9:25 am
Arizona Diamondbacks, Los Angeles Dodgers to open 2014 in Australia
The Arizona Diamondbacks will open their 2014 season against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia.
According to the Telegraph, the series will be held at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 22 and 23.
In a $13 million coup for the state government, the opening series of the MLB will be held at the SCG on Saturday March 22 and Sunday March 23 - the first time a competitive US baseball fixture will be held in Australia and only the sixth time one has been staged outside America.
The games have been described as the biggest internationally recognised event in this country since the 2003 Rugby World Cup final and come exactly 100 years after the Chicago White Sox played against NSW at the SCG.
Spring Training Headquarters
- D-backs GM: Shortstop position still up for grabs
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.