Updated Jun 12, 2013 - 5:29 pm
D-backs and Dodgers engage in heated brawl
The benches cleared twice between the two bitter divisional rivals, and things got physical the second time around.
It all started when Ian Kennedy hit rookie phenom Yasiel Puig in the bottom of the sixth inning. The pitch appeared to graze Puig's nose, and he fell to the ground and was attended to by Dodgers trainers.
Zach Greinke retaliated in the top of the seventh when he hit Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero. The benches cleared, but no punches were thrown. Both benches were then warned.
In the bottom half of the inning Kennedy threw high at Greinke, causing the benches to clear again. Kennedy was thrown out of the game along with manager Kirk Gibson and coach Turner Ward. From the Dodgers Puig and hitting coach Mark McGwire were tossed.
At one point Gibson and McGwire were in each other's faces yelling at each other. D-backs coach Matt Williams also found himself in the middle of the ruckus with Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and then McGwire.
Then there is coach Turner Ward getting thrown into the railing.
And of course, Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly threw D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell to the ground.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.