If you've ever wondered where Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson got his all-out mentality, one need look no further than the man who raised him.
"I'd say the biggest lesson my dad taught me was 'Whatever you do, follow it through,'" he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "'Don't be deterred, don't let anybody deter you. Get your sights set on what you're going to do and follow it through.'
"Think about it, when you do that you feel good about yourself and it kind of teaches you to persevere through some tough times."
No doubt that has helped Gibson throughout his life, as both a baseball player and manager, as well as a person in general.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com writer
- Dan Hicks, NBC golf commentator
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA analyst
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president
- Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports MLB insider
- Dan Majerle, GCU basketball head coach
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst
- Kevin Gibson, D-backs' manager's son
- Kirk Gibson Jr., D-backs' manager's son
- D-backs analyst Tom Candiotti
- Suns forward Jared Dudley
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson
- Dodgers analyst Steve Lyons
- Arizona Sports reminisces
- Franz: Remembering your dad this Father's Day