Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 9:42 am
One-run games going D-backs' way this season
That team rode a surprising Cy Young candidate in Ian Kennedy as well as an MVP contender in Justin Upton all the way to the NL West crown, tallying many close wins on the way there.
The team won 94 games that season, with 28 being of the one-run variety.
This year's Diamondbacks, who are pacing the division with a 36-28 mark, are on a similar path, only this time the role of Kennedy is being played by Patrick Corbin and Upton's spot is being filled by Paul Goldschmidt.
But the success in one-run games has stayed.
The Diamondbacks are now 15-8 in 1-run games this season. Their 15 wins is the most in the majors.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 11, 2013
Last season's D-backs were just 15-27 in one-run games.
Many feel a team's success in close games is largely due to luck, and the D-backs' trend over the last few seasons would seem to bear that out. Or, maybe, this year's team just happens to be more clutch than last year's.
Either way, the nail biters have proven to be beneficial to the D-backs' record, even if it's not helping their (or their fans') stress levels.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.