Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 9:42 am
One-run games going D-backs' way this season
That team rode a surprising Cy Young candidate in Ian Kennedy as well as an MVP contender in Justin Upton all the way to the NL West crown, tallying many close wins on the way there.
The team won 94 games that season, with 28 being of the one-run variety.
This year's Diamondbacks, who are pacing the division with a 36-28 mark, are on a similar path, only this time the role of Kennedy is being played by Patrick Corbin and Upton's spot is being filled by Paul Goldschmidt.
But the success in one-run games has stayed.
The Diamondbacks are now 15-8 in 1-run games this season. Their 15 wins is the most in the majors.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 11, 2013
Last season's D-backs were just 15-27 in one-run games.
Many feel a team's success in close games is largely due to luck, and the D-backs' trend over the last few seasons would seem to bear that out. Or, maybe, this year's team just happens to be more clutch than last year's.
Either way, the nail biters have proven to be beneficial to the D-backs' record, even if it's not helping their (or their fans') stress levels.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.