Updated Jun 11, 2013 - 9:42 am
One-run games going D-backs' way this season
That team rode a surprising Cy Young candidate in Ian Kennedy as well as an MVP contender in Justin Upton all the way to the NL West crown, tallying many close wins on the way there.
The team won 94 games that season, with 28 being of the one-run variety.
This year's Diamondbacks, who are pacing the division with a 36-28 mark, are on a similar path, only this time the role of Kennedy is being played by Patrick Corbin and Upton's spot is being filled by Paul Goldschmidt.
But the success in one-run games has stayed.
The Diamondbacks are now 15-8 in 1-run games this season. Their 15 wins is the most in the majors.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) June 11, 2013
Last season's D-backs were just 15-27 in one-run games.
Many feel a team's success in close games is largely due to luck, and the D-backs' trend over the last few seasons would seem to bear that out. Or, maybe, this year's team just happens to be more clutch than last year's.
Either way, the nail biters have proven to be beneficial to the D-backs' record, even if it's not helping their (or their fans') stress levels.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.