Grit Index: D-backs score four runs in ninth to beat Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks rallied for four runs in the ninth inning to stun the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-4 in the series opener at Dodger Stadium on Monday night.
Willie Bloomquist drove in the go-ahead run in the ninth on a bases-loaded two-run single, and Paul Goldschmidt added his NL-leading 59th RBI to give the D-backs a 5-3 lead. The insurance run provided by Goldschmidt turned out to be the eventual game winner, after D-backs' interim closer Heath Bell struggled in the bottom of the inning before notching his eighth straight save.
The D-backs continued their season-long success against the Dodgers this season. Arizona has now won five straight against Los Angeles, and has improved to 6-1 against them in seven games this season.
Heath Bell didn't make it easy in the bottom of the ninth. The veteran reliever surrendered two hits, including a lead-off home run and a double.
A.J. Pollock went 0-for-5 with a strikeout, and Cliff Pennington also was hitless in three at-bats against Dodgers' pitching.
• The D-backs recalled pitchers Joe Patterson and Charles Brewer and optioned left-hander Tyler Skaggs back to Triple-A Reno. The team also placed Matt Reynolds on the 15-day DL with a strained left elbow prior to Monday night's game.
• The Dodgers are tied with the Cubs for the most blown saves in the majors with 13. Brandon League has now blown four saves this season, and has a 6.00 ERA.
• Dodgers' ace Clayton Kershaw received yet another hard-luck no decision this season. Kershaw was magnificent on the mound, surrendering just one run over seven innings with five strikeouts and two walks. He has amassed an NL-best 1.88 ERA this season, but has only five wins to show for his efforts.
The D-backs and Dodgers will play game two of their three-game series on Tuesday, June 11 at 7:10 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.72) will get the call for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Zach Greinke (3-1, 3.89) of the Dodgers.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.