Grit Index: D-backs score four runs in ninth to beat Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks rallied for four runs in the ninth inning to stun the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-4 in the series opener at Dodger Stadium on Monday night.
Willie Bloomquist drove in the go-ahead run in the ninth on a bases-loaded two-run single, and Paul Goldschmidt added his NL-leading 59th RBI to give the D-backs a 5-3 lead. The insurance run provided by Goldschmidt turned out to be the eventual game winner, after D-backs' interim closer Heath Bell struggled in the bottom of the inning before notching his eighth straight save.
The D-backs continued their season-long success against the Dodgers this season. Arizona has now won five straight against Los Angeles, and has improved to 6-1 against them in seven games this season.
Heath Bell didn't make it easy in the bottom of the ninth. The veteran reliever surrendered two hits, including a lead-off home run and a double.
A.J. Pollock went 0-for-5 with a strikeout, and Cliff Pennington also was hitless in three at-bats against Dodgers' pitching.
• The D-backs recalled pitchers Joe Patterson and Charles Brewer and optioned left-hander Tyler Skaggs back to Triple-A Reno. The team also placed Matt Reynolds on the 15-day DL with a strained left elbow prior to Monday night's game.
• The Dodgers are tied with the Cubs for the most blown saves in the majors with 13. Brandon League has now blown four saves this season, and has a 6.00 ERA.
• Dodgers' ace Clayton Kershaw received yet another hard-luck no decision this season. Kershaw was magnificent on the mound, surrendering just one run over seven innings with five strikeouts and two walks. He has amassed an NL-best 1.88 ERA this season, but has only five wins to show for his efforts.
The D-backs and Dodgers will play game two of their three-game series on Tuesday, June 11 at 7:10 p.m. MST. Right-hander Ian Kennedy (3-4, 5.72) will get the call for the D-backs. He will be opposed by right-hander Zach Greinke (3-1, 3.89) of the Dodgers.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.