Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 7:19 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation has fallen on hard times of late
While the combination of quality opponents and a road-heavy schedule has contributed to the D-backs' underwhelming play of late, when it comes down to it, Kirk Gibson and Co. have been let down by their starting pitching.
Following Saturday night's 10-5 loss to the San Francisco Giants, Gibson told the media that he's not too concerned about the starting rotation's struggles, citing that the recent trend is a product of a long season.
"We'd like to have better performances, but it wasn't long ago they were dominating," said Gibson. "It's the ups and downs of the season."
Although the manager's reluctance to overreact is understandable, the numbers are hard to ignore.
Over the last 11 games, Arizona starting pitchers have allowed 58 earned runs in 60 2/3 innings of work. In that same span, they've gone 3-6 with two no decisions and two quality starts.
But it hasn't just been the latest stretch of games. On the whole, it's been hit or miss with the rotation in 2013.
Take out Patrick Corbin's remarkable 9-0 start, and the team's starting pitchers (Ian Kennedy, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Tyler Skaggs) are a combined 13-21 with a 4.92 ERA.
Add in the fact that Daniel Hudson's done for the season with a UCL tear in his right elbow, and the D-backs might have some trouble remaining atop the NL West Standings if their rotation doesn't find a way to return to form in the coming weeks.
Here's a look back at the last 11 games by the numbers:
|Starting Pitcher||Date||Opposing Team||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks||Decision|
|Brandon McCarthy||5/30||@ Rangers||2.2||9||6||0||0||Loss|
|Wade Miley||5/31||@ Cubs||7.0||7||7||7||2||Loss|
|Ian Kennedy||6/1||@ Cubs||7.0||3||4||7||1||Win|
|Patrick Corbin||6/2||@ Cubs||6.0||6||4||5||2||Win|
|Trevor Cahill||6/3||@ Cardinals||5.0||9||5||0||3||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/4||@ Cardinals||5.2||6||5||4||0||No Decision|
|Wade Miley||6/5||@ Cardinals||7.0||11||3||1||2||Win|
|Ian Kennedy||6/6||@ Cardinals||4.0||13||10||4||2||Loss|
|Patrick Corbin||6/7||vs. Giants||7.1||7||1||4||0||No Decision|
|Trevor Cahill||6/8||vs. Giants||3.2||9||8||3||1||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/9||vs. Giants||5.1||8||5||4||3||Loss|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.