Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 7:19 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation has fallen on hard times of late
While the combination of quality opponents and a road-heavy schedule has contributed to the D-backs' underwhelming play of late, when it comes down to it, Kirk Gibson and Co. have been let down by their starting pitching.
Following Saturday night's 10-5 loss to the San Francisco Giants, Gibson told the media that he's not too concerned about the starting rotation's struggles, citing that the recent trend is a product of a long season.
"We'd like to have better performances, but it wasn't long ago they were dominating," said Gibson. "It's the ups and downs of the season."
Although the manager's reluctance to overreact is understandable, the numbers are hard to ignore.
Over the last 11 games, Arizona starting pitchers have allowed 58 earned runs in 60 2/3 innings of work. In that same span, they've gone 3-6 with two no decisions and two quality starts.
But it hasn't just been the latest stretch of games. On the whole, it's been hit or miss with the rotation in 2013.
Take out Patrick Corbin's remarkable 9-0 start, and the team's starting pitchers (Ian Kennedy, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Tyler Skaggs) are a combined 13-21 with a 4.92 ERA.
Add in the fact that Daniel Hudson's done for the season with a UCL tear in his right elbow, and the D-backs might have some trouble remaining atop the NL West Standings if their rotation doesn't find a way to return to form in the coming weeks.
Here's a look back at the last 11 games by the numbers:
|Starting Pitcher||Date||Opposing Team||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks||Decision|
|Brandon McCarthy||5/30||@ Rangers||2.2||9||6||0||0||Loss|
|Wade Miley||5/31||@ Cubs||7.0||7||7||7||2||Loss|
|Ian Kennedy||6/1||@ Cubs||7.0||3||4||7||1||Win|
|Patrick Corbin||6/2||@ Cubs||6.0||6||4||5||2||Win|
|Trevor Cahill||6/3||@ Cardinals||5.0||9||5||0||3||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/4||@ Cardinals||5.2||6||5||4||0||No Decision|
|Wade Miley||6/5||@ Cardinals||7.0||11||3||1||2||Win|
|Ian Kennedy||6/6||@ Cardinals||4.0||13||10||4||2||Loss|
|Patrick Corbin||6/7||vs. Giants||7.1||7||1||4||0||No Decision|
|Trevor Cahill||6/8||vs. Giants||3.2||9||8||3||1||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/9||vs. Giants||5.1||8||5||4||3||Loss|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.