Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:54 pm
D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt continues to deliver late
The 25-year-old leads the National League in RBI (58) and Wins Above Replacement (3.7), is second in on-base plus slugging percentage (1.004) and ranks in the top 5 in home runs (15), doubles (17), slugging percentage (.599), on-base percentage (.405) and hits (74).
But what's made Goldschmidt's campaign so impressive through 62 games is the timing of his production.
Friday night's game-winning, three-run home run in the eighth inning against the San Francisco Giants marked the fourth time this year the D-backs first baseman has hit a go-ahead blast in the eighth inning or later. The next closest player in that category is the Atlanta Braves' Evan Gattis with two.
Arguably more remarkable is that all four home runs have come in the last 32 days.
May 7, 2013 - Two-run shot off Brandon League in D-backs' 5-3 win over the Dodgers
May 8, 2013 - Solo shot off Kenley Jansen in D-backs' 3-2 win over the Dodgers
June 1, 2013 - Grand slam off Carlos Marmol in D-backs' 12-4 win over the Cubs
June 7, 2013 - Three-run shot off Jeremy Affeldt in D-backs' 3-1 win over the Giants
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.