Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:54 pm
D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt continues to deliver late
The 25-year-old leads the National League in RBI (58) and Wins Above Replacement (3.7), is second in on-base plus slugging percentage (1.004) and ranks in the top 5 in home runs (15), doubles (17), slugging percentage (.599), on-base percentage (.405) and hits (74).
But what's made Goldschmidt's campaign so impressive through 62 games is the timing of his production.
Friday night's game-winning, three-run home run in the eighth inning against the San Francisco Giants marked the fourth time this year the D-backs first baseman has hit a go-ahead blast in the eighth inning or later. The next closest player in that category is the Atlanta Braves' Evan Gattis with two.
Arguably more remarkable is that all four home runs have come in the last 32 days.
May 7, 2013 - Two-run shot off Brandon League in D-backs' 5-3 win over the Dodgers
May 8, 2013 - Solo shot off Kenley Jansen in D-backs' 3-2 win over the Dodgers
June 1, 2013 - Grand slam off Carlos Marmol in D-backs' 12-4 win over the Cubs
June 7, 2013 - Three-run shot off Jeremy Affeldt in D-backs' 3-1 win over the Giants
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.