Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:28 am
D-backs coach: Goldschmidt is not a power hitter
In 1,178 minor league at bats, the first baseman had hit 83 home runs. Sure, he hit .317, but his strength was, well, his strength.
Now in the majors, Goldschmidt has hit 43 home runs in 893 at bats, though he already has 15 in just 223 this season.
Yet, it's his consistency at the plate, whether his hits are leaving the park or not, that has third base coach Matt Williams impressed.
"He understands himself, he understands who he is," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
But, really, what does that mean?
"I've said it, and I think a lot of people have said it, that Paul Goldschmidt's a .300 hitter with power, he's not a power hitter," he said. "And he understands that. He understands that his job and his best swing is to hit .300."
Of course, Williams added, there will be times where Goldschmidt gets hot and keeps sending balls over the fence, but even when that isn't the case he won't all of a sudden forget how to hit. Which is why, the coach and former All-Star said, the third-year pro is able to remain consistent at the plate.
"He understands that, so at 25-years-old he understands himself at this point where it takes guys, generally, a few years to get to understand what they can and can't do," Williams said. "Goldy knows it already, which is great."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.