Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:28 am
D-backs coach: Goldschmidt is not a power hitter
In 1,178 minor league at bats, the first baseman had hit 83 home runs. Sure, he hit .317, but his strength was, well, his strength.
Now in the majors, Goldschmidt has hit 43 home runs in 893 at bats, though he already has 15 in just 223 this season.
Yet, it's his consistency at the plate, whether his hits are leaving the park or not, that has third base coach Matt Williams impressed.
"He understands himself, he understands who he is," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
But, really, what does that mean?
"I've said it, and I think a lot of people have said it, that Paul Goldschmidt's a .300 hitter with power, he's not a power hitter," he said. "And he understands that. He understands that his job and his best swing is to hit .300."
Of course, Williams added, there will be times where Goldschmidt gets hot and keeps sending balls over the fence, but even when that isn't the case he won't all of a sudden forget how to hit. Which is why, the coach and former All-Star said, the third-year pro is able to remain consistent at the plate.
"He understands that, so at 25-years-old he understands himself at this point where it takes guys, generally, a few years to get to understand what they can and can't do," Williams said. "Goldy knows it already, which is great."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?