Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:28 am
D-backs coach: Goldschmidt is not a power hitter
In 1,178 minor league at bats, the first baseman had hit 83 home runs. Sure, he hit .317, but his strength was, well, his strength.
Now in the majors, Goldschmidt has hit 43 home runs in 893 at bats, though he already has 15 in just 223 this season.
Yet, it's his consistency at the plate, whether his hits are leaving the park or not, that has third base coach Matt Williams impressed.
"He understands himself, he understands who he is," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
But, really, what does that mean?
"I've said it, and I think a lot of people have said it, that Paul Goldschmidt's a .300 hitter with power, he's not a power hitter," he said. "And he understands that. He understands that his job and his best swing is to hit .300."
Of course, Williams added, there will be times where Goldschmidt gets hot and keeps sending balls over the fence, but even when that isn't the case he won't all of a sudden forget how to hit. Which is why, the coach and former All-Star said, the third-year pro is able to remain consistent at the plate.
"He understands that, so at 25-years-old he understands himself at this point where it takes guys, generally, a few years to get to understand what they can and can't do," Williams said. "Goldy knows it already, which is great."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.