Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:28 am
D-backs coach: Goldschmidt is not a power hitter
In 1,178 minor league at bats, the first baseman had hit 83 home runs. Sure, he hit .317, but his strength was, well, his strength.
Now in the majors, Goldschmidt has hit 43 home runs in 893 at bats, though he already has 15 in just 223 this season.
Yet, it's his consistency at the plate, whether his hits are leaving the park or not, that has third base coach Matt Williams impressed.
"He understands himself, he understands who he is," Williams told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday.
But, really, what does that mean?
"I've said it, and I think a lot of people have said it, that Paul Goldschmidt's a .300 hitter with power, he's not a power hitter," he said. "And he understands that. He understands that his job and his best swing is to hit .300."
Of course, Williams added, there will be times where Goldschmidt gets hot and keeps sending balls over the fence, but even when that isn't the case he won't all of a sudden forget how to hit. Which is why, the coach and former All-Star said, the third-year pro is able to remain consistent at the plate.
"He understands that, so at 25-years-old he understands himself at this point where it takes guys, generally, a few years to get to understand what they can and can't do," Williams said. "Goldy knows it already, which is great."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.