Grit Index: D-backs fall to Cardinals in series opener
The Arizona Diamondbacks didn't have an answer for St. Louis Cardinals starter Lance Lynn.
Lynn has had a fantastic year so far for the Cardinals, and Monday night was no exception.
The 26-year-old tossed seven impressive innings, allowing just one run on five hits with only one walk and six strikeouts.
The Cardinals' right-hander notched his eighth win of the season, besting the D-backs 7-1 in the series opener at Busch Stadium.
Gerardo Parra was the catalyst for the D-backs' lone run of the night. Arizona's leadoff man hit a double to start the sixth inning, advanced to third on a Martin Prado flyout and then scored on a Paul Goldschmidt grounder.
Parra went 2-for-4 with a run scored, raising his average to .314.
D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill (3-6) labored on the mound for Arizona. The right-hander allowed five runs and nine hits in just five innings of work against the Cardinals. He also walked three and didn't record a strikeout. This is the first game of the season in which Cahill has not had a single punchout.
The D-backs struggled to contain the Cardinals with runners in scoring position. St. Louis went 4-for-8 with RISP on Monday night.
• The D-backs optioned pitcher Randall Delgado to Triple-A after the game. Delgado gave up two earned runs on four hits in two innings on Monday night.
• Lynn became the third pitcher in the National League to reach eight wins. Arizona's Patrick Corbin leads the league with nine.
• Prior to Monday's loss, Cahill had surrendered four earns runs or less in 29 straight starts.
• Corbin was named the NL's Pitcher of the Month of May after going 5-0 with a sterling 1.53 ERA.
The D-backs and Cardinals will play the second game of their three-game set on Tuesday, June 4 at Busch Stadium. Left-hander Tyler Skaggs (1-0, 0.00) will get the start for the D-backs. He will be opposed by Michael Wacha for the Cards. The game is scheduled to start at 5:15 p.m. local time and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.