Updated Jun 3, 2013 - 6:16 pm
Owings, Bradley win D-backs' organizational awards for second consecutive month
Owings, who leads the minor leagues in hits, with 86 -- 10 more than any other minor leaguer -- currently has a 21-game hit streak intact. The 21-year-old shortstop hit .355 (44-for-124) in 29 games in the month of May, recording six doubles, 14 RBI, three stolen bases and one home run.
Following the 2012 season, Baseball America ranked Owings as the Diamondbacks' No. 7 prospect. Selected 41st overall as a supplemental first-rounder in the 2009 draft, Owings leads the Pacific Coast League in games, at-bats and runs scored.
Bradley, who was recently recognized by ESPN's Keith Law as Major League Baseball's ninth-best prospect, went 4-1 with a 0.79 ERA after being promoted to Double-A Mobile at the beginning of the month. He currently boasts the second-best ERA (1.01) and strikeout total (80) in the minor leagues. Right-handers in the Southern League are currently batting .100 (7-for-70) with 20 strikeouts against Bradley, who didn't allow a home run in the month of May.
The Diamondbacks selected the hard-throwing 20-year-old with the seventh pick of the 2011 draft.
Monday was the first time that the organization's player and pitcher awards were captured by the same pair for consecutive months.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?