Updated Jun 3, 2013 - 9:22 am
D-backs fall one spot in ESPN Power Rankings
Kirk Gibson's team is 32-24 and leading the National League West by 2.5 games entering a four-game series with the St. Louis Cardinals Monday.
They just finished up a 4-2 week that included a double header sweep of the AL West-leading Texas Rangers and back-to-back wins at Wrigley Field that saw them pound out 30 hits and score 20 runs.
So, how did they fall one spot in ESPN's latest MLB Power Rankings?
The Diamondbacks took a step back from 10th to 11th in this week's ranking, one spot behind the New York Yankees, who fell five spots after a disastrous 1-6 week.
David Schoenfeld of ESPN's SweetSpot blog wrote the following about the D-backs:
Patrick Corbin is now 9-0 with a 2.06 ERA, although he's given up four runs in each of his past two starts. Meanwhile, Wade Miley has lost four starts in a row, allowing 23 runs in 21 2/3 innings with six home runs allowed. Tyler Skaggs, after pitching six scoreless innings in his 2013 debut, starts again on Tuesday in a big series in St. Louis.
In case you're wondering, the Cardinals (37-19) top the list and are followed by Texas, Cincinnati, Boston and Atlanta.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.