Grit Index: D-backs bats come alive late in win over Cubs
Gerardo Parra led off the game with a home run for Arizona. It was his fifth longball of the season and the fourth time he's led off a game with a homer.
Nate Schierholtz hit a solo home run and added an RBI double for the Cubs, staking starter Jeff Samardzija to a 3-1 lead. Unfortunately for Samardzija, Chicago's bullpen faltered late, costing him the victory.
Paul Goldschmidt unleashed a tie-breaking grand slam in the eighth inning off of Cubs' reliever Carlos Marmol, and Arizona's bats erupted for eight runs over the game's final two innings.
Ian Kennedy (3-3) surrendered four runs on three hits in seven innings of work, and retired 20 of the last 21 Cubs he faced.
Paul Goldschmidt hit his first career regular season grand slam, his 13th longball of the season, to break a 4-4 tie in the eighth. Goldschmidt went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs to raise his batting .average to 332.
Willie Bloomquist, who has been sidelined with an oblique injury, made a splash in his season debut. Bloomquist went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a walk.
• The D-backs' 17 hits were the most ever they've amassed at Wrigley Field. Arizona also won for just the second time in 12 games at Wrigley.
• Arizona placed right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled right-hander Randall Delgado from Triple-A Reno prior to Saturday's contest.
• The Cubs bullpen got torched, allowing nine runs on 10 hits with four walks in 2.3 innings.
The D-backs and Cubs will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, June 2 at Wrigley Field at 11:20 a.m. Right-hander Patrick Corbin (8-0, 1.71) looks to keep his perfect record intact. He will be opposed by right-hander Edwin Jackson (1-7, 6.11) of the Cubs. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.