Grit Index: D-backs bats come alive late in win over Cubs
Gerardo Parra led off the game with a home run for Arizona. It was his fifth longball of the season and the fourth time he's led off a game with a homer.
Nate Schierholtz hit a solo home run and added an RBI double for the Cubs, staking starter Jeff Samardzija to a 3-1 lead. Unfortunately for Samardzija, Chicago's bullpen faltered late, costing him the victory.
Paul Goldschmidt unleashed a tie-breaking grand slam in the eighth inning off of Cubs' reliever Carlos Marmol, and Arizona's bats erupted for eight runs over the game's final two innings.
Ian Kennedy (3-3) surrendered four runs on three hits in seven innings of work, and retired 20 of the last 21 Cubs he faced.
Paul Goldschmidt hit his first career regular season grand slam, his 13th longball of the season, to break a 4-4 tie in the eighth. Goldschmidt went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs to raise his batting .average to 332.
Willie Bloomquist, who has been sidelined with an oblique injury, made a splash in his season debut. Bloomquist went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a walk.
• The D-backs' 17 hits were the most ever they've amassed at Wrigley Field. Arizona also won for just the second time in 12 games at Wrigley.
• Arizona placed right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled right-hander Randall Delgado from Triple-A Reno prior to Saturday's contest.
• The Cubs bullpen got torched, allowing nine runs on 10 hits with four walks in 2.3 innings.
The D-backs and Cubs will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, June 2 at Wrigley Field at 11:20 a.m. Right-hander Patrick Corbin (8-0, 1.71) looks to keep his perfect record intact. He will be opposed by right-hander Edwin Jackson (1-7, 6.11) of the Cubs. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.