Grit Index: D-backs bats come alive late in win over Cubs
Gerardo Parra led off the game with a home run for Arizona. It was his fifth longball of the season and the fourth time he's led off a game with a homer.
Nate Schierholtz hit a solo home run and added an RBI double for the Cubs, staking starter Jeff Samardzija to a 3-1 lead. Unfortunately for Samardzija, Chicago's bullpen faltered late, costing him the victory.
Paul Goldschmidt unleashed a tie-breaking grand slam in the eighth inning off of Cubs' reliever Carlos Marmol, and Arizona's bats erupted for eight runs over the game's final two innings.
Ian Kennedy (3-3) surrendered four runs on three hits in seven innings of work, and retired 20 of the last 21 Cubs he faced.
Paul Goldschmidt hit his first career regular season grand slam, his 13th longball of the season, to break a 4-4 tie in the eighth. Goldschmidt went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBIs to raise his batting .average to 332.
Willie Bloomquist, who has been sidelined with an oblique injury, made a splash in his season debut. Bloomquist went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a walk.
• The D-backs' 17 hits were the most ever they've amassed at Wrigley Field. Arizona also won for just the second time in 12 games at Wrigley.
• Arizona placed right-hander Brandon McCarthy on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation and recalled right-hander Randall Delgado from Triple-A Reno prior to Saturday's contest.
• The Cubs bullpen got torched, allowing nine runs on 10 hits with four walks in 2.3 innings.
The D-backs and Cubs will play the series finale of their three-game set on Sunday, June 2 at Wrigley Field at 11:20 a.m. Right-hander Patrick Corbin (8-0, 1.71) looks to keep his perfect record intact. He will be opposed by right-hander Edwin Jackson (1-7, 6.11) of the Cubs. The game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.