Updated May 30, 2013 - 6:00 pm
D-backs lose Eric Chavez to strained right oblique
No one expected the 35-year-old to be an every day player for the team, but his production practically forced him into the lineup.
And now an injury has taken him out of it. Chavez exited Thursday's game with the Texas Rangers midway through an at-bat in the first inning, and the team later announced he had suffered a strained right oblique. He was replaced in the lineup by Cliff Pennington.
Chavez's status going forward is up in the air, as the D-backs are in the midst of a long road trip and could ill afford to continue shorthanded. Team president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday the team would much rather keep Chavez out for a day or two and get him back on the field than rushing to put him on the disabled list and be without him for an unnecessarily long period of time.
"It's a juggling act, it's one that our medical staff deals with frequently, unfortunately," he said. "And working with our baseball staff deciding what's best when it comes to the roster and Eric Chavez."
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.