Updated May 30, 2013 - 6:00 pm
D-backs lose Eric Chavez to strained right oblique
No one expected the 35-year-old to be an every day player for the team, but his production practically forced him into the lineup.
And now an injury has taken him out of it. Chavez exited Thursday's game with the Texas Rangers midway through an at-bat in the first inning, and the team later announced he had suffered a strained right oblique. He was replaced in the lineup by Cliff Pennington.
Chavez's status going forward is up in the air, as the D-backs are in the midst of a long road trip and could ill afford to continue shorthanded. Team president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday the team would much rather keep Chavez out for a day or two and get him back on the field than rushing to put him on the disabled list and be without him for an unnecessarily long period of time.
"It's a juggling act, it's one that our medical staff deals with frequently, unfortunately," he said. "And working with our baseball staff deciding what's best when it comes to the roster and Eric Chavez."
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.