Updated May 30, 2013 - 5:29 pm
D-backs president Hall excited about team's surplus of starting pitching
Really, it's only natural when you look at the hurlers who are already at the Major League level as well as those progressing through the farm system.
But Tyler Skaggs' six innings of shutout baseball Monday against the Texas Rangers gave everyone another glimpse of what could be, and it has team president Derrick Hall pretty excited about what's to come.
"He's going to be a fixture in our rotation, it's a matter of when," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday.
Skaggs, 21, is really just the tip of the iceberg of what's left, and only 1/5 of the D-backs' rotation of the future.
"I get so excited watching him and thinking about, within the next year or two, we're going to have a rotation that already has (Trevor) Cahill and (Daniel) Hudson, but you're going to be talking about Archie Bradley, you're going to be talking about Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, Ian Kennedy.
"Where do you fit it all? It's a great problem to have."
Like most D-backs fans, Hall said he's especially excited about the concept of seeing guys like Bradley, Skaggs and Corbin in the same rotation, and given that they are three of the team's top young prospects, it makes sense.
However, each of those players will need a spot in the rotation, and right now there isn't any room. So, what are the D-backs to do?
Hall said injuries happen and there are times where pitchers need time off or a trip to the minors, so you can't really have too much pitching.
"We felt that we had enough pitching going into this season that we could move (Trevor) Bauer, and people thought we were crazy at the time," he said, noting he's hoping that trade continues to work out. "When you have a surplus you can take a chance like that, but you can't take too many."
Citing the idiom that says you can never have too much pitching, Hall said he knows the franchise has an abundance at the position.
"But you have to be careful because, just as quickly, you could blink and you don't have enough pitching."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.