Arizona Diamondbacks mark Memorial Day with name wall, special uniforms
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks made a special effort to honor those who served on Memorial Day.
From special shirts to a memory expert, the D-backs took advantage of their doubleheader with the Texas Rangers to make Monday a special day at the ballpark.
Ron White, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, is a two-time U.S. memory champion and knows the names of every American killed in that conflict.
"I've memorized all 2,200 of them in the order of their deaths," he said. "Memorized their ranks, their first name and their last name. It's about 7,000 words."
The D-backs hired White to write out the names of each soldier on a massive wall at Chase Field.
"We're going to get a 50-foot wall. It's black and looks like the Vietnam Wall," he said. "About an hour before game one, I'm going to start writing out the names from memory. It will take me about 10 hours to write all 7,000 words."
In addition to White's tribute, the D-backs wore camouflage jerseys and hats with all proceeds from the sales of the merchandise going to the Welcome Home Veterans program.
The D-backs bullpen also wore special shirts to mark the day.
Bob McClay, Reporter
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.