Arizona Diamondbacks mark Memorial Day with name wall, special uniforms
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks made a special effort to honor those who served on Memorial Day.
From special shirts to a memory expert, the D-backs took advantage of their doubleheader with the Texas Rangers to make Monday a special day at the ballpark.
Ron White, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, is a two-time U.S. memory champion and knows the names of every American killed in that conflict.
"I've memorized all 2,200 of them in the order of their deaths," he said. "Memorized their ranks, their first name and their last name. It's about 7,000 words."
The D-backs hired White to write out the names of each soldier on a massive wall at Chase Field.
"We're going to get a 50-foot wall. It's black and looks like the Vietnam Wall," he said. "About an hour before game one, I'm going to start writing out the names from memory. It will take me about 10 hours to write all 7,000 words."
In addition to White's tribute, the D-backs wore camouflage jerseys and hats with all proceeds from the sales of the merchandise going to the Welcome Home Veterans program.
The D-backs bullpen also wore special shirts to mark the day.
Bob McClay, Reporter
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.