Updated May 23, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' President and CEO expects Didi Gregorius to play every day
The comment came as no surprise, considering the 23-year-old is leading Major League rookies who have at least 50 at-bats in batting average, with a .348 mark, and on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS), with a .960.
"Didi has proven that he's an everyday shortstop defensively, for sure," Hall said. "So far, he's proven that he's an everyday shortstop at the plate, but we know at some point the book's going to be out on him and (things) are going to change a little bit."
After referencing the inevitable adjustments pitchers will make in their approach to pitching to Gregorius, Hall went on to suggest some basic standards that could keep the Diamondbacks' offseason trade acquisition at his post.
"If Didi Gregorius is a .265-.275 hitter and occasionally flashes the power that he has, shows the excitement and enthusiasm that he has every day, the speed on the base paths, the chance and willingness to take an extra base, and (play) the defense that he plays, which is just stellar, I'm going to take that.
"This guy, right now, is playing like an All-Star shortstop," Hall concluded. "If the All-Star Game were today, Didi's got to be dressing up."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?