Updated May 23, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' President and CEO expects Didi Gregorius to play every day
The comment came as no surprise, considering the 23-year-old is leading Major League rookies who have at least 50 at-bats in batting average, with a .348 mark, and on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS), with a .960.
"Didi has proven that he's an everyday shortstop defensively, for sure," Hall said. "So far, he's proven that he's an everyday shortstop at the plate, but we know at some point the book's going to be out on him and (things) are going to change a little bit."
After referencing the inevitable adjustments pitchers will make in their approach to pitching to Gregorius, Hall went on to suggest some basic standards that could keep the Diamondbacks' offseason trade acquisition at his post.
"If Didi Gregorius is a .265-.275 hitter and occasionally flashes the power that he has, shows the excitement and enthusiasm that he has every day, the speed on the base paths, the chance and willingness to take an extra base, and (play) the defense that he plays, which is just stellar, I'm going to take that.
"This guy, right now, is playing like an All-Star shortstop," Hall concluded. "If the All-Star Game were today, Didi's got to be dressing up."
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.