Updated May 22, 2013 - 3:59 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall short in Colorado rubber game
Arizona dropped two of three games in Denver and heads home after a 3-3 road trip.
After Gonzalez's two-out homer off of D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill in the first, Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado each doubled to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Then in the third, after Gonzalez's triple scored DJ LeMahieu, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Gonzalez to score.
The D-backs' lone run came in the fourth on an RBI double from backup catcher Wil Nieves that scored Cody Ross.
Nieves, Ross and A.J. Pollock each had two hits for the D-backs.
Tony Sipp and Will Harris combined on two perfect innings of relief while striking out four Colorado hitters.
The D-backs' struggles with runners in scoring position continued as they were just 1-for-7 in those situations.
Arizona's starting infield of Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Wilson, Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado went a combined 1-for-15 with three strikeouts against Colorado pitching.
After an off day Thursday, the Diamondbacks start a rare five-game homestand against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field. Brandon McCarthy, who has been outstanding in his last two starts, gets the ball for the opener against San Diego lefty Eric Stults.
First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.