Updated May 22, 2013 - 3:59 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall short in Colorado rubber game
Arizona dropped two of three games in Denver and heads home after a 3-3 road trip.
After Gonzalez's two-out homer off of D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill in the first, Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado each doubled to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Then in the third, after Gonzalez's triple scored DJ LeMahieu, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Gonzalez to score.
The D-backs' lone run came in the fourth on an RBI double from backup catcher Wil Nieves that scored Cody Ross.
Nieves, Ross and A.J. Pollock each had two hits for the D-backs.
Tony Sipp and Will Harris combined on two perfect innings of relief while striking out four Colorado hitters.
The D-backs' struggles with runners in scoring position continued as they were just 1-for-7 in those situations.
Arizona's starting infield of Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Wilson, Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado went a combined 1-for-15 with three strikeouts against Colorado pitching.
After an off day Thursday, the Diamondbacks start a rare five-game homestand against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field. Brandon McCarthy, who has been outstanding in his last two starts, gets the ball for the opener against San Diego lefty Eric Stults.
First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.