Updated May 22, 2013 - 3:59 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall short in Colorado rubber game
Arizona dropped two of three games in Denver and heads home after a 3-3 road trip.
After Gonzalez's two-out homer off of D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill in the first, Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado each doubled to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Then in the third, after Gonzalez's triple scored DJ LeMahieu, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Gonzalez to score.
The D-backs' lone run came in the fourth on an RBI double from backup catcher Wil Nieves that scored Cody Ross.
Nieves, Ross and A.J. Pollock each had two hits for the D-backs.
Tony Sipp and Will Harris combined on two perfect innings of relief while striking out four Colorado hitters.
The D-backs' struggles with runners in scoring position continued as they were just 1-for-7 in those situations.
Arizona's starting infield of Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Wilson, Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado went a combined 1-for-15 with three strikeouts against Colorado pitching.
After an off day Thursday, the Diamondbacks start a rare five-game homestand against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field. Brandon McCarthy, who has been outstanding in his last two starts, gets the ball for the opener against San Diego lefty Eric Stults.
First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.