Updated May 22, 2013 - 3:59 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall short in Colorado rubber game
Arizona dropped two of three games in Denver and heads home after a 3-3 road trip.
After Gonzalez's two-out homer off of D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill in the first, Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado each doubled to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Then in the third, after Gonzalez's triple scored DJ LeMahieu, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Gonzalez to score.
The D-backs' lone run came in the fourth on an RBI double from backup catcher Wil Nieves that scored Cody Ross.
Nieves, Ross and A.J. Pollock each had two hits for the D-backs.
Tony Sipp and Will Harris combined on two perfect innings of relief while striking out four Colorado hitters.
The D-backs' struggles with runners in scoring position continued as they were just 1-for-7 in those situations.
Arizona's starting infield of Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Wilson, Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado went a combined 1-for-15 with three strikeouts against Colorado pitching.
After an off day Thursday, the Diamondbacks start a rare five-game homestand against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field. Brandon McCarthy, who has been outstanding in his last two starts, gets the ball for the opener against San Diego lefty Eric Stults.
First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.