Updated May 20, 2013 - 11:40 am
Diamondbacks got a steal in Paul Goldschmidt?
The D-backs' first baseman is tied for fifth in the National League with a .333 batting average, second wiith 13 home runs and third with 35 RBI. His 1.049 OPS (on base+slugging percentage) tops the league, and he's .414 on base percentage is fourth.
Though it's early in the season, it appears the team has a star in its possession, and it does so at a very reasonable rate.
Goldschmidt signed a five-year, $32 million extension before the season began, and while it seemed like a solid deal for both sides at the time, it appears to be a steal for the team right now.
And according to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, who spoke to an agent, that's exactly the case.
According to one competing agent, Goldschmidt left as much as $75 million on the table, although anything along those lines would take not only Goldschmidt taking off into a new echelon -- he had 20 homers, 82 RBI and a .286 batting average his first full season in the big leagues last year -- but a totally new power market, as well. Also, of course, Goldschmidt would have had to be willing to go year to year to maximize his take.
Of course, that could just be agent-speak, but if the 25-year-old keeps hitting like this, his words will very much ring true.
And who knows, maybe not having the pressure of contract negotiations has helped Goldschmidt play well. Regardless, a team that has never really had much consistency at first base will have some for a while.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.