Updated May 20, 2013 - 11:40 am
Diamondbacks got a steal in Paul Goldschmidt?
The D-backs' first baseman is tied for fifth in the National League with a .333 batting average, second wiith 13 home runs and third with 35 RBI. His 1.049 OPS (on base+slugging percentage) tops the league, and he's .414 on base percentage is fourth.
Though it's early in the season, it appears the team has a star in its possession, and it does so at a very reasonable rate.
Goldschmidt signed a five-year, $32 million extension before the season began, and while it seemed like a solid deal for both sides at the time, it appears to be a steal for the team right now.
And according to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, who spoke to an agent, that's exactly the case.
According to one competing agent, Goldschmidt left as much as $75 million on the table, although anything along those lines would take not only Goldschmidt taking off into a new echelon -- he had 20 homers, 82 RBI and a .286 batting average his first full season in the big leagues last year -- but a totally new power market, as well. Also, of course, Goldschmidt would have had to be willing to go year to year to maximize his take.
Of course, that could just be agent-speak, but if the 25-year-old keeps hitting like this, his words will very much ring true.
And who knows, maybe not having the pressure of contract negotiations has helped Goldschmidt play well. Regardless, a team that has never really had much consistency at first base will have some for a while.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.