Updated May 16, 2013 - 1:34 pm
ESPN MLB analyst: Patrick Corbin 'going very high places' in baseball
The young lefty, who is 6-0 on the season and boasts a sparkling 1.52 ERA, is now on the national radar.
"That kid is really good and the Diamondbacks have not lost any of his starts," ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian accurately stated to Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "He's won a bunch of them himself, but the point is he never -- or at least, he hasn't -- pitched himself out of any games so far."
Kurkjian said a bad performance from the starter can lead to the bullpen being overworked, among other things, and Corbin's ability to avoid such outings is invaluable.
As it is, Corbin has thrown at least six innings in every one of his eight starts, and has allowed no more than two runs in any of them.
"He really, really knows what he's doing out there, from the people that I've talked to," Kurkjian said. "And I know he was in a battle to win a rotation spot this spring, but I think that competition's over.
"That kid is going very high places in this game."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.