Updated May 16, 2013 - 8:36 am
Former D-backs player and commentator Mark Grace speaks about time in Tent City
Grace, who was convicted of two DUI arrests (May 30, 2011 and August 23, 2012) in a 15-month period, spoke openly to the media Wednesday night about his experience behind bars.
"This has certainly been a life-changing event for me," Grace said. "I'm going to be better because of this, but I deserved to be here."
When asked if he's worried how his stay in Tent City will affect the public image and reputation he built as a well-respected ballplayer and analyst, the 2001 World Series champion said he's not.
"Regardless of what you do in life, there's going to be people who like you and people that don't like you," said Grace. "That's the way it is. People are going to believe what they want to believe.
"I know that I'm not an evil person, just made a really, really rotten decision and ended up here."
While the D-backs didn't retain Grace's services in the booth after the 2012 season, the organization did hire him in February to serve as a minor-league hitting instructor -- a role he'll resume after his June 10 release.
Grace was asked if he's fearful of returning to his old habits once he reenters life outside the walls of Tent City, but the 16-year MLB veteran said he believes he's moved past his bad decisions.
"If I do it again, I'm going to be in the Arizona Department of Corrections for over a year," said Grace. "Like I said, my kids deserve better than that. My family deserves better than that.
"If I'm that stinking stupid to do that again, I want you to come punch me right in the mouth."
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.