Updated May 16, 2013 - 8:36 am
Former D-backs player and commentator Mark Grace speaks about time in Tent City
Grace, who was convicted of two DUI arrests (May 30, 2011 and August 23, 2012) in a 15-month period, spoke openly to the media Wednesday night about his experience behind bars.
"This has certainly been a life-changing event for me," Grace said. "I'm going to be better because of this, but I deserved to be here."
When asked if he's worried how his stay in Tent City will affect the public image and reputation he built as a well-respected ballplayer and analyst, the 2001 World Series champion said he's not.
"Regardless of what you do in life, there's going to be people who like you and people that don't like you," said Grace. "That's the way it is. People are going to believe what they want to believe.
"I know that I'm not an evil person, just made a really, really rotten decision and ended up here."
While the D-backs didn't retain Grace's services in the booth after the 2012 season, the organization did hire him in February to serve as a minor-league hitting instructor -- a role he'll resume after his June 10 release.
Grace was asked if he's fearful of returning to his old habits once he reenters life outside the walls of Tent City, but the 16-year MLB veteran said he believes he's moved past his bad decisions.
"If I do it again, I'm going to be in the Arizona Department of Corrections for over a year," said Grace. "Like I said, my kids deserve better than that. My family deserves better than that.
"If I'm that stinking stupid to do that again, I want you to come punch me right in the mouth."
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.