Updated May 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Head-to-head: Comparing Chris Johnson/Justin Upton vs. Martin Prado
In the Braves' 10-1 series-opening win on Monday night, Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Upton, however, wasn't the only former D-back to get into the act.
Third baseman Chris Johnson, who played 44 games with Arizona in 2012, contributed to the nine-run rout with a two-run home run and three RBI. He had three total hits on the night.
Despite the loss, Martin Prado, the only major league-level player from the blockbuster trade currently on the D-backs roster, broke out of a 1-for-12 slump with two hits against his former club.
While Upton and Co. landed the first blow of the series, the Diamondbacks would have the last laugh.
Behind seven shutout innings from left-hander Patrick Corbin, Arizona took down the Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.
Johnson and Upton combined to go 1-for-5 on the night with two walks and a strikeout, whereas Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in the sixth inning.
In Wednesday's matinee rubber match, Upton reached base three times (one hit and two walks) but struck out in a critical situation in the ninth inning against closer Heath Bell, as the D-backs went on to take the series with a 5-3 victory.
One three-game series doesn't make or break a trade, but at least in the short-term, the D-backs can at least hang their hat on getting the best of their former teammates.
From an individual standpoint, though, Johnson and Upton weren't too shabby in their respective returns.
Chris Johnson, 3B, Atlanta Braves: 4-for-7, home run, three RBI
Justin Upton, OF, Atlanta Braves: 5-for-10, home run, two RBI, two strikeouts and four walks
Martin Prado, 2B/3B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: 4-for-9, double and a strikeout
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.