Updated May 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Head-to-head: Comparing Chris Johnson/Justin Upton vs. Martin Prado
In the Braves' 10-1 series-opening win on Monday night, Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Upton, however, wasn't the only former D-back to get into the act.
Third baseman Chris Johnson, who played 44 games with Arizona in 2012, contributed to the nine-run rout with a two-run home run and three RBI. He had three total hits on the night.
Despite the loss, Martin Prado, the only major league-level player from the blockbuster trade currently on the D-backs roster, broke out of a 1-for-12 slump with two hits against his former club.
While Upton and Co. landed the first blow of the series, the Diamondbacks would have the last laugh.
Behind seven shutout innings from left-hander Patrick Corbin, Arizona took down the Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.
Johnson and Upton combined to go 1-for-5 on the night with two walks and a strikeout, whereas Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in the sixth inning.
In Wednesday's matinee rubber match, Upton reached base three times (one hit and two walks) but struck out in a critical situation in the ninth inning against closer Heath Bell, as the D-backs went on to take the series with a 5-3 victory.
One three-game series doesn't make or break a trade, but at least in the short-term, the D-backs can at least hang their hat on getting the best of their former teammates.
From an individual standpoint, though, Johnson and Upton weren't too shabby in their respective returns.
Chris Johnson, 3B, Atlanta Braves: 4-for-7, home run, three RBI
Justin Upton, OF, Atlanta Braves: 5-for-10, home run, two RBI, two strikeouts and four walks
Martin Prado, 2B/3B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: 4-for-9, double and a strikeout
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.