Updated May 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Head-to-head: Comparing Chris Johnson/Justin Upton vs. Martin Prado
In the Braves' 10-1 series-opening win on Monday night, Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Upton, however, wasn't the only former D-back to get into the act.
Third baseman Chris Johnson, who played 44 games with Arizona in 2012, contributed to the nine-run rout with a two-run home run and three RBI. He had three total hits on the night.
Despite the loss, Martin Prado, the only major league-level player from the blockbuster trade currently on the D-backs roster, broke out of a 1-for-12 slump with two hits against his former club.
While Upton and Co. landed the first blow of the series, the Diamondbacks would have the last laugh.
Behind seven shutout innings from left-hander Patrick Corbin, Arizona took down the Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.
Johnson and Upton combined to go 1-for-5 on the night with two walks and a strikeout, whereas Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in the sixth inning.
In Wednesday's matinee rubber match, Upton reached base three times (one hit and two walks) but struck out in a critical situation in the ninth inning against closer Heath Bell, as the D-backs went on to take the series with a 5-3 victory.
One three-game series doesn't make or break a trade, but at least in the short-term, the D-backs can at least hang their hat on getting the best of their former teammates.
From an individual standpoint, though, Johnson and Upton weren't too shabby in their respective returns.
Chris Johnson, 3B, Atlanta Braves: 4-for-7, home run, three RBI
Justin Upton, OF, Atlanta Braves: 5-for-10, home run, two RBI, two strikeouts and four walks
Martin Prado, 2B/3B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: 4-for-9, double and a strikeout
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.