Upton, Johnson shine in return to Arizona
It was a storybook night for former D-backs' Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in their return to Arizona.
In fact, you couldn't have scripted it any better.
Upton, facing his former mates for the first time since an offseason trade sent him to the Atlanta Braves, exploded at the plate.
The Braves' outfielder went 4-for-5 with his major league-leading 13th home run and two RBIs. The 25-year-old's two-run blast in the sixth inning also snapped a 14-game homerless drought.
This was Upton's second four-hit game of the season, and one more than he had all of last year. He also raised his average to .289 on the season.
Johnson, for his part, had a huge night against the D-backs. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run, ending an 0-for-10 skid.
The duo combined for seven hits, five RBIs and two long balls on the night. Upton and Johnson both fell a triple short of the cycle.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.