Upton, Johnson shine in return to Arizona
It was a storybook night for former D-backs' Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in their return to Arizona.
In fact, you couldn't have scripted it any better.
Upton, facing his former mates for the first time since an offseason trade sent him to the Atlanta Braves, exploded at the plate.
The Braves' outfielder went 4-for-5 with his major league-leading 13th home run and two RBIs. The 25-year-old's two-run blast in the sixth inning also snapped a 14-game homerless drought.
This was Upton's second four-hit game of the season, and one more than he had all of last year. He also raised his average to .289 on the season.
Johnson, for his part, had a huge night against the D-backs. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run, ending an 0-for-10 skid.
The duo combined for seven hits, five RBIs and two long balls on the night. Upton and Johnson both fell a triple short of the cycle.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.