Upton, Johnson shine in return to Arizona
It was a storybook night for former D-backs' Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in their return to Arizona.
In fact, you couldn't have scripted it any better.
Upton, facing his former mates for the first time since an offseason trade sent him to the Atlanta Braves, exploded at the plate.
The Braves' outfielder went 4-for-5 with his major league-leading 13th home run and two RBIs. The 25-year-old's two-run blast in the sixth inning also snapped a 14-game homerless drought.
This was Upton's second four-hit game of the season, and one more than he had all of last year. He also raised his average to .289 on the season.
Johnson, for his part, had a huge night against the D-backs. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run, ending an 0-for-10 skid.
The duo combined for seven hits, five RBIs and two long balls on the night. Upton and Johnson both fell a triple short of the cycle.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.