Upton, Johnson shine in return to Arizona
It was a storybook night for former D-backs' Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in their return to Arizona.
In fact, you couldn't have scripted it any better.
Upton, facing his former mates for the first time since an offseason trade sent him to the Atlanta Braves, exploded at the plate.
The Braves' outfielder went 4-for-5 with his major league-leading 13th home run and two RBIs. The 25-year-old's two-run blast in the sixth inning also snapped a 14-game homerless drought.
This was Upton's second four-hit game of the season, and one more than he had all of last year. He also raised his average to .289 on the season.
Johnson, for his part, had a huge night against the D-backs. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run, ending an 0-for-10 skid.
The duo combined for seven hits, five RBIs and two long balls on the night. Upton and Johnson both fell a triple short of the cycle.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.