Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Hall: D-backs dodged bullet on Putz injury
But two days later, the prognosis for the Diamondbacks' closer looks a lot better, according to CEO Derrick Hall.
"I think we dodged a bullet, that's for sure. The description that we had from J.J., the fact he didn't feel his fingers, couldn't feel the ball his last two pitches, the sensation he said he's never felt before," Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday. "I think we all feared it but you don't want to say it, but we all feared maybe Tommy John or some sort of surgery to repair, and it doesn't look like that is necessary, which is great."
Instead, Putz will rehab the injury, which was described as a sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator and an irritated nerve by Fox Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal Thursday morning.
Putz, 36, was 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances before suffering the injury against the Dodgers.
Heath Bell has assumed closer duties and the Diamondbacks recalled right-handed reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno Wednesday when when Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.