Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Hall: D-backs dodged bullet on Putz injury
But two days later, the prognosis for the Diamondbacks' closer looks a lot better, according to CEO Derrick Hall.
"I think we dodged a bullet, that's for sure. The description that we had from J.J., the fact he didn't feel his fingers, couldn't feel the ball his last two pitches, the sensation he said he's never felt before," Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday. "I think we all feared it but you don't want to say it, but we all feared maybe Tommy John or some sort of surgery to repair, and it doesn't look like that is necessary, which is great."
Instead, Putz will rehab the injury, which was described as a sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator and an irritated nerve by Fox Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal Thursday morning.
Putz, 36, was 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances before suffering the injury against the Dodgers.
Heath Bell has assumed closer duties and the Diamondbacks recalled right-handed reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno Wednesday when when Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.