Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Hall: D-backs dodged bullet on Putz injury
But two days later, the prognosis for the Diamondbacks' closer looks a lot better, according to CEO Derrick Hall.
"I think we dodged a bullet, that's for sure. The description that we had from J.J., the fact he didn't feel his fingers, couldn't feel the ball his last two pitches, the sensation he said he's never felt before," Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday. "I think we all feared it but you don't want to say it, but we all feared maybe Tommy John or some sort of surgery to repair, and it doesn't look like that is necessary, which is great."
Instead, Putz will rehab the injury, which was described as a sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator and an irritated nerve by Fox Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal Thursday morning.
Putz, 36, was 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances before suffering the injury against the Dodgers.
Heath Bell has assumed closer duties and the Diamondbacks recalled right-handed reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno Wednesday when when Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?