Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:35 am
Report: J.J. Putz opting for rehab over surgery
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Putz's injuries aren't as serious as first thought and the 36-year-old has opted to rehab the elbow instead of having surgery.
#DBacks closer J.J. Putz will not need elbow surgery. Hoping rehab will work. Sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator, irritated nerve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 9, 2013
The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after he had to leave Arizona's win over the Dodgers after throwing just four pitches.
Initially, D-backs' GM Kevin Towers wasn't very optimistic about Putz's prognosis.
"We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
There is no timetable on Putz's return. Veteran Heath Bell has taken over the closer duties and right-hander Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno Wednesday to fill Putz's roster spot
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?