Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:35 am
Report: J.J. Putz opting for rehab over surgery
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Putz's injuries aren't as serious as first thought and the 36-year-old has opted to rehab the elbow instead of having surgery.
#DBacks closer J.J. Putz will not need elbow surgery. Hoping rehab will work. Sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator, irritated nerve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 9, 2013
The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after he had to leave Arizona's win over the Dodgers after throwing just four pitches.
Initially, D-backs' GM Kevin Towers wasn't very optimistic about Putz's prognosis.
"We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
There is no timetable on Putz's return. Veteran Heath Bell has taken over the closer duties and right-hander Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno Wednesday to fill Putz's roster spot
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Mark Trumbo to Diamondbacks in 3-team trade
- Mark Trumbo looking forward to new opportunity with Arizona Diamondbacks
- In final year of Gibson, Towers' contracts, D-backs going all in
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.