Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:35 am
Report: J.J. Putz opting for rehab over surgery
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Putz's injuries aren't as serious as first thought and the 36-year-old has opted to rehab the elbow instead of having surgery.
#DBacks closer J.J. Putz will not need elbow surgery. Hoping rehab will work. Sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator, irritated nerve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 9, 2013
The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after he had to leave Arizona's win over the Dodgers after throwing just four pitches.
Initially, D-backs' GM Kevin Towers wasn't very optimistic about Putz's prognosis.
"We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
There is no timetable on Putz's return. Veteran Heath Bell has taken over the closer duties and right-hander Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno Wednesday to fill Putz's roster spot
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.