Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:35 am
Report: J.J. Putz opting for rehab over surgery
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Putz's injuries aren't as serious as first thought and the 36-year-old has opted to rehab the elbow instead of having surgery.
#DBacks closer J.J. Putz will not need elbow surgery. Hoping rehab will work. Sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator, irritated nerve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 9, 2013
The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after he had to leave Arizona's win over the Dodgers after throwing just four pitches.
Initially, D-backs' GM Kevin Towers wasn't very optimistic about Putz's prognosis.
"We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
There is no timetable on Putz's return. Veteran Heath Bell has taken over the closer duties and right-hander Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno Wednesday to fill Putz's roster spot
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.