Updated May 9, 2013 - 10:35 am
Report: J.J. Putz opting for rehab over surgery
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that Putz's injuries aren't as serious as first thought and the 36-year-old has opted to rehab the elbow instead of having surgery.
#DBacks closer J.J. Putz will not need elbow surgery. Hoping rehab will work. Sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator, irritated nerve.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 9, 2013
The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday, a day after he had to leave Arizona's win over the Dodgers after throwing just four pitches.
Initially, D-backs' GM Kevin Towers wasn't very optimistic about Putz's prognosis.
"We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks," Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620. "Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
There is no timetable on Putz's return. Veteran Heath Bell has taken over the closer duties and right-hander Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno Wednesday to fill Putz's roster spot
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.